Need to get in shape the Military

Options
OK so I had previously thought about going into the military when I was done school. Then I went and got all fat. Previously the age limit to become an officer was cut off at 26 for them all except the Army and the Coast Guard. Now I see that the age limit has been increased into the 30s. I need to get in shape ASAP!! I'm serious considering a military career. Any current military folk or veterans out there? Any adivce? I have about a year and half left in grad school.

Thanks Everyone!

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What service are you looking into, Do they have a ROTC program at the school you are at? and have you talked to a recruiter, they should be able to point you in the right direction, maybe even get you in a weekly program training with them to help you out.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I leave for the navy January 4 2011 I would encourage u to get the app c25k it help you to start running which is my biggest obstacle and it a great cardio work as well so it burns fat feel free to add me as a friend
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in the Army and so is her partner, he is actually a PT Instructor I asked him to help me lose weight and he said eat less and exercise more, wish it was that simple, but it is when you think about it. Good luck x
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was looking into the Air Force. I did download the Couch to 5k as well. I'm gonna start that. I htink running will be my biggest obstacle as well. And I'm too old for the ROTC. I'm 26 right now and in grad school. I kinda gave up on the idea because I had gained so much weight and have not been able to take it off. And at that point the age restrictin was lower. Now that I know I can still do it after grad school I really want to consider it as an option. I refuse to let the fact that I'moverweight hinder me if I really want to do it. And I"m on the eat less work out more plan. Lol. And you're right that is the main concept, but it is most definitely not that simple. I am down about 12 lbs though. I need to lose about 40 to be at the requried weight. I have some time so I want to do it the right way too. My goal is not to be skinny (of course that is a major perk), but to really be in shape.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    talk to a recruiter, and they can outline your weight and fitness goals better for you. and it doesn't have to be asap. the enlistment or officer selection programs take time. you need to go see a recruiter.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    don't give up. u can still do this. i've currently shed 50lbs & i'm talkin 2 a recruiter. hopefully in less the 10more lbs i can pass the "tape test" & get in the military b4 i age out. just keep goin!!! u can do this!!! :flowerforyou: