Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Pop - Canada
    Weirdos.

EH????
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm from the New Orleans area. You'll either here Coke (which will be followed by the question of "What kind?"), soft drink (due to all of the hard liquor that is consumed), or cold drink (Which is even written on some of the vending machines.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm in Iowa....we say pop. Everyone. I've never heard a local call it anything else.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    btw....that map is AWESOME!!!
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Lived in:
    Texas it was Coke
    In Cali it was Soda
    in Florida it was Soda
    in canada it's pop.

i will always call it pop. unless in texas and then you better call it coke. they carry guns and have good aim
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Pop - Canada
    Weirdos.

EH????
    I totally read that in Bob & Doug McKenzie voices.
  • danabrown68
    Options
    Soft drink or soda here in VA and NC.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    City on the US border in Ontario: pop. Only time we use the word soda is if it's a "cream soda" flavour.

Edit: Sometimes people just say "coke" around here too, but that usually means actual coke or pepsi.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    There's a map for that.

Pop-vs-Soda-US-Map.mediumthumb.gif

This is a topic I've discussed with friends at length in the past.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!
    It seems to be pretty accurate too, based on the responses here and in my previous discussions on the topic with friends all over the country.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I also used this information (without the map) as an example in the writing portion of the GRE when I took it a couple of weeks ago.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Minnesota, so I said "pop". I was soooo happy when I moved to Florida and could call it "soda". I think "pop" sounds silly. Most of my southern born family calls all brands and flavors, "coke".
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Chicago - pop.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    There's a map for that.

Pop-vs-Soda-US-Map.mediumthumb.gif

This is a topic I've discussed with friends at length in the past.

That's amazing and seems very accurate. I went to college in central Illinois and a lot of them said soda when 3 hours north we said pop. LOL
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Ohio saying pop also but now I moved away and now say Soda......but must say that I do not drink either soda or pop and have not for almost 2 years now.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I am in california and I say soda, my cousin is from tennessee and she says pop, I was like "what is that?, what is popping?"
  • branflake5
    Options
    i still think pop sounds better, calling everything coke is weird... do they call pepsi coke? weird... i could see if u called each thing by what it is sprite dr. pepper etc. interesting tho. hmmmmm.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Where I live most people cal it by what it is "i want a Dr. pepper, i want a Mt. Dew" ect
  • branflake5
    Options
    Where I live most people cal it by what it is "i want a Dr. pepper, i want a Mt. Dew" ect

now that would make sense, saying i want a coke; then waiting to be asked what kind seems odd.
    i am thinking too deeply into this lol
  • E_Cee83
    E_Cee83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Soft drink in Australia...

Yeah, Aussies say soft drink or call it by its name e.g. coke, pepsi max, sprite etc. or fizzy drink sometimes