Ovarian cysts

Options
getitamb
getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
Hey,
I have a couple of friednds that have ovarian cysts that keep coming back. they are overweight and they carry a lot of the weight in their stomachs. I know that this is not a medical website before I even ask, but I wanted to know if them being overweight might have something to do with them coming back? If they lost weight will it help their chances of not getting these cancers?

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not a doctor, as you know. :) But, I think that weight loss does help this considerably. I have PCOS, which is seriously a million cysts on my ovaries (but they don't hurt). Now that I have lost the majority of my weight, I have many of the symptoms of PCOS under control. I would imagine that weight loss would have the same effect on regular ovarian cysts.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    I know someone who eats healthily, no processed foods, vegetarian her entire life, and is very thin, about 50kg. She has PCOS and lots of pain from the cysts.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Well I guess it just depends on the case.
  • malexfrost
    malexfrost Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    (i'm not a doctor or anything too!)

ovarian cysts is the NUMBER ONE reason why i've been trying very hard to lose weight!

side story: my menstruation has been irregular since i started having it, so i thought it was normal. i missed my period 6 months straight this year, that's when i realized that i had to visit a OB. she told me that i ovarian cysts and i had to lose weight - so yes being overweight does have something to do with the ovarian cysts.

i also have a high school friend who had to undergo 3 surgeries because of the cysts. she was told to lose weight and to stop drinking/eating anything with caffeine - she stopped having the cysts!

hope that helps :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Cyst development on the ovaries has alot to do with failure of the follicles to rupture. The normal occuring fluid that remains contributes to the cyst development.

If a follicle grows larger than normal and does not open to release the egg - that also creates a cyst

There is also the type called Corpus Luteum Cysts - there is a section of tissue of the ovary after an egg has been released from a follicle. If the egg fails to get fertilized, that tissue can develop into cysts as well... Can be filled with either blood or fluids.

Then there are what we call Teratomas: cysts that house abnormal tissues and formations. This generally does not associate with PCOS.

When PCOS patients gain weight and have trouble losing that weight, that is on the hormonal level - and the ovaries themself tie into that.

Our PCOS-affected body reacts poorly with the messages from the brain to the ovaries for ovulation. Sometimes it can be an overproduction of follicle stimulating hormone, and other times, it can be under-production. PCOS patients are documented as having an increase of testosterone, androgens, estrogen and insulin. Hyperinsulinemia (too much insulin in the body) not only affects your ability to digest sensitive sugar-cells, but the body cant dump that much insulin fast enough. Too much insulin of the untreated PCOS patient, can cause havoc on the Liver - particularly enzyme #9. If left untreated, you could risk being quarantined and put on Interferon to bring the toxic levels down of Hepatitis...

The weight, the male-hormone excessive production, insulin overproduction, and lack of rhythmic periods are all contributors to weight loss issues and infertility.

Ive worked in healthcare for about 14 years, and Im also a PCOS/Metabolic X Syndrome patient...

I think what gets me (on a non-healthcare level) is how PCOS has different intensities and some effects are more radical than others... there are no text book -straight-across-the-line one PCOS patient... its a havoc-creating medical problem!

Luckily an Endo I found who has done extensive studying and medical care on it (India, England, Canada, USA), she is working with me on my situation and so far its working like a charm....
  • caramel1920
    Options
    When I had to have surgery to remove my ovarian cysts I had recently lost 85lbs and was the slimmest I've been my adult life. That was 6 years ago, since then I have regained my weight and have been having a difficult time losing. I also have issues with fibroid tumors and endometriosis, it's a hot mess down there!