How can I get drunk without putting on the pounds?

Options

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Eat fermented fruit or sniff methylated spirits. Or, just don't drink. It's a misconception that vodka is low calorie. It isn't. No alcohol is. And it's all just totally empty of any nutritionaly value, kills vital brain cells, stops the body from being able to get any nutrition from food properly and dehydrates you terribly. Why would anyone want that?

Vodka isn't calorie-less, but it's about 50 cals per shot, which is much less than say, beer, which can be over a hundred for the same amount of alcohol. Depends on the beer, but you get my point.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    just keep drinking till you spew.

not serious. :happy:
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Eat fermented fruit or sniff methylated spirits. Or, just don't drink. It's a misconception that vodka is low calorie. It isn't. No alcohol is. And it's all just totally empty of any nutritionaly value, kills vital brain cells, stops the body from being able to get any nutrition from food properly and dehydrates you terribly. Why would anyone want that?
    The underlined portion is complete crap, and dehydrates "terribly" is pretty shaky as well.

Alcohol killing brain cells is a blatant lie that goes back to the 1930's Temperance movement (the ones that brought us Prohibition). Total BS. Hit google and you'll find pages and pages debunking this myth.

Preventing the body from getting nutrition from food is so out-there that I don't even know where to begin. Are you possibly talking about B-vitamins? If so, you're trying to apply the symptoms of chronic alcoholism to occasional, casual users - a huge no-no.

As for dehydration, alcohol's diuretic effect is 10ml of water per gram of ethanol. A shot of vodka has about 12g of ethanol, which would make you express 120ml (4oz) of fluid. A beer has about 16g ethanol, so 160ml (5.5oz) lost, but it also has over 230ml (11.4 oz) of water in the same can. Essentially, drinking anything besides shots of spirits (with no mixer or chaser) will bring with it enough water to keep you from getting dehydrating.

You're welcome to have a negative opinion on alcohol use, but please stop making up and/or passing on fake information to justify it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Because it's tasty and delicious!!!

That being said, if you're training for anything like a race or competition or whatever, I usually go by the rule that one night of heavy drinking will set you back about 3 weeks of training. Assuming you can afford that:

I usually do a decent whiskey or scotch with seltzer. Took some getting used to for me but I quite like it now and it's only like 100 calories a drink. You could have 10 and burn that in a bout of intense cardio.

You could also do what I did in college (though in college it was to save money) and go with harder drinks. I actually like the taste of 151. I believe it's like 125 calories a shot, so that with club soda or seltzer is pretty manageable. It also takes a lot less.

I know people back in school who used to work out heavy before going out, but that was just added dehydration speaking I think. The added risk of blackout and all the negative consequences of drinking far outweigh the few calories you would save (not to mention the intense hangover after).

ALL that being said, a healthy chunk of the calories I personally gain from nights out don't come from booze, but from bar food and late night munchies. Wings and nachos and McDonalds are delicious at 4AM, but they've also got hundreds or thousands of calories packed in them. If you can control that, it'll help tremendously.

Don't too it too often, and you should be fine.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    SHOTS! No Mixed drinks!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I drink neat scotch and alternate a glass of water in between. I get pleasantly tipsy without being slaughtered (most of the time!) and without mixers it keeps the calories low. Plus it tastes good.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    geez debbie downer! Drink what you want, it's okay to have fun every once in a while.

The way you said this makes it sound like getting drunk is the only time you have fun!
  • marqueholt
    Options
    Because it's fun :) (what I mean is, I don't think "don't drink" is a very helpful answer.)

I agree with the recommendations to exercise earlier that day. Taking vitamin B12 beforehand helps with the nutrition loss, drinking water before, during and after if you can will help with dehydration (I almost always have jut as much water as I do alcohol when drinking). While it's true that vodka's lack of calories compared to other drinks isn't terribly significant, it's true that the lighter the alcohol, the less harsh the hangover, which means faster recovery so you can hit the gym again sooner.
  • SkinnyjeanKathleen
    SkinnyjeanKathleen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to drink a bit when you're going out, but be careful of some of the fruity mixed drinks. Also, some of the mixed shots (like Lemon drops or birthday cake) are PACKED with calories.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Last time I went out, I had Patron, rum & Diet Cokes, and a single Sex on the Beach. I had forgotten to eat dinner so I didn't go over calories but I was way under too.

MFP has alcohol choices in the menu if you look for something you like so you can plan it out if you like. I know that when I'm feeling the buzz, I am NOT going to be tracking calories.

Also, get your booty on the dance floor. Drink, be merry, AND get a good workout! :P
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I'm a big wino...LOL...Wine is pretty low in calories...Try vodka soda or bacardi & diet...If you're only getting drunk one day it shouldn't put on any weight, just work it off a couple days later :)
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    I have been LOVING watermelon vodka and diet sprite. Fabulous! But then I end up drinking more, cause it's soooooooo yummy!
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Also skinny girl margarita, but I haven't found a bar that has it, so it's usually just an at home drink.
  • michellestefnik
    Options
    I like vodka and water with extra lemon wedges... Squeeze the lemon juice into the drink and you are good to go... Also I find with using water as a mix, you don't get that crappy too much sugar make ya feel sick feeling...
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm after reading this I could sure go for a drink.

Bacardi Limon Rum and Pepsi One.
    One oz of rum is 66 calories, fat 0g, carbs 2g, 0g protein
  • ktsdad
    ktsdad Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another downer here...If you are simply trying to get drunk, how is that different from overeating to get fat? Binging is binging.

That being said, if you want to drink, just log it in and count it with the rest of your food. It's your body and your choices. I usually drink red wine when I drink because it gives me the most flavor for the calories. My favorite is bourbon or tequila, but they are too heavy in calories for me right now. If I did drink them, it would probably be on the rocks or with water to avoid extra calories from mixers. I am allergic to beer, so that is out, and I had a bad run in with rum in college, can't even smell the stuff now.

I had a glass of wine after losing 35 lbs and wow! I immediately felt it through my whole body. It was weird, so I guess another option is to lose a bunch of weight without drinking, then when you do drink, you will be a really cheap date! :)
  • upsidedowncake
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic- lowest cal drink (it's only 1 weightwatchers point) Beware of the headache the next day though....
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    if it's available in your area try Ty-Ku Soju with diet sprite. SO GOOD!!! Half the calories of vodka!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    just keep drinking till you spew.

Yeah just throw it up haha :drinker:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything all day and then chug a 5th of whatever you want (vodka, tequilla, gin, run) . . . that should do it.