Kcals and Calories

Options
Hey all, I'm trying to figure out kcal conversion to cals. I use online tools but it cant be right..i did a light 30mins 7 mile cycle on the excercise bike this morning and the machine told me i burned 128 kcals, all the conversion tools i use say that is 128000 calories, surely not. Anybody know how many calories that would be and how best to work it out?

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    kcals are calories...
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    you burned 128 calories.
  • GirlieMutant
    Options
    I think it's the same thing...
  • seanog75
    Options
    thanks everyone! bloddy hell im thick lol...thanks again :)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Kcals are the calories that you burnt. They are just referred to as 'calories' for convenience sake. Hope this helps x
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    KCals and calories are the same thing, do you mean KJoules to Calories?
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Food labels use the word calorie so as not to confuse consumers. The value of a calorie actually reflects kilocalorie units.

So you might think you're eating 2000 calories, but you're actually eating 2,000,000 calories. So if you burned 128kcals, you burned 128,000. See why there could be confusion?

Edit: any knowledgeables please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm trying my hardest to remember what my textbooks said.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    we call them calories but actually they are KCals... which is 28000 calories... but that doesn't mean you burned what is referred to as calories! you burned 128 calories as in a small slice of cake or a slice of bread!