Chia seeds???

Options
I was flippling channels yesterday and came across the Dr Oz show. He was talking about Chia seeds and how they can fill you up. Has anyone heard of these? Has anyone tried them??

Replies

• hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    Someone posted a recipe here that included them, and after that, I noticed them at Costco just last week. Have not purchased or used, though.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They are healthy and a great source of protein, but filling- eh
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    i use them. they look a tad odd and like any seed get stuck in your teeth but are great in protein and dont really have much taste but some say they are nutty flavored.
    i Put them in shakes and they sort of puff up a bit and i find them filling but each to there own
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I put them in smoothies and sprinkle them in my oatmeal sometimes....they have a lot of nutritional benefits!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Makes a great gift too.

chia-pet.jpg
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    We made chocolate chia seed pudding one night. It was so good! That is all I have done with them.
  • kimkat77
    Options
    I have eaten them! If you leave them in water, they absorb the water and become gelatinous. So...if you are not a fan of different textures, watch out for that!!! :happy:
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I need more protein...I am not a big meat eater and I always get hungry at night so I would love to like have a smoothie and be full!! Where can I get some??
  • WaRachel
    Options
    ((From CNN.com)
    What do you know/say about chia seeds? Are they really a "superfood?"
    Expert answer:

There is no actual definition for a 'superfood', this is really just a marketing term, but foods mentioned in this category often contain above average amounts of health promoting nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and especially phytonutrients (plant based nutrients). Based on this definition, chia seeds would certainly qualify.

They are an excellent source of fiber and antioxidants, a good source of calcium, a good source of plant based protein and an excellent source of the plant derived omega 3 fatty acid (alpha-linolenic acid) ALA similar to walnuts and flax. As with any nut or seed, they are low in saturated fat and contain no cholesterol, but like all nuts and seeds they are more calorie dense, 139 calories per ounce, so it is important to watch serving sizes and consume in moderation.

When chia seeds are combined with liquid (like water, milk, juice or yogurt), they form a gel due to the soluble fiber that they contain. This may have some benefit in terms of weight loss (although the research in this area is scant) by helping you feel fuller longer and also by delaying the increase in blood sugar of foods that you consume which contain chia seeds.

As with almost all foods, to get the most health benefits, chia seeds are best consumed in their whole state rather than consuming them as an oil or supplement (grinding them is ok too since it retains all the components of the seed). If you want to give them a try as part of your healthy eating regimen, they work well as a yogurt or oatmeal topping, tossed into a smoothie, or used as a binder and healthy fat in baked goods (particularly vegan or gluten free baking).

But as with any 'superfood', they work as part of an overall balanced diet that includes a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein, not as a replacement for or supplement to a poor diet.
  • runslikeagirl
    Options
    ((From CNN.com)
    What do you know/say about chia seeds? Are they really a "superfood?"
    Expert answer:

There is no actual definition for a 'superfood', this is really just a marketing term, but foods mentioned in this category often contain above average amounts of health promoting nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and especially phytonutrients (plant based nutrients). Based on this definition, chia seeds would certainly qualify.

They are an excellent source of fiber and antioxidants, a good source of calcium, a good source of plant based protein and an excellent source of the plant derived omega 3 fatty acid (alpha-linolenic acid) ALA similar to walnuts and flax. As with any nut or seed, they are low in saturated fat and contain no cholesterol, but like all nuts and seeds they are more calorie dense, 139 calories per ounce, so it is important to watch serving sizes and consume in moderation.

When chia seeds are combined with liquid (like water, milk, juice or yogurt), they form a gel due to the soluble fiber that they contain. This may have some benefit in terms of weight loss (although the research in this area is scant) by helping you feel fuller longer and also by delaying the increase in blood sugar of foods that you consume which contain chia seeds.

As with almost all foods, to get the most health benefits, chia seeds are best consumed in their whole state rather than consuming them as an oil or supplement (grinding them is ok too since it retains all the components of the seed). If you want to give them a try as part of your healthy eating regimen, they work well as a yogurt or oatmeal topping, tossed into a smoothie, or used as a binder and healthy fat in baked goods (particularly vegan or gluten free baking).

But as with any 'superfood', they work as part of an overall balanced diet that includes a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein, not as a replacement for or supplement to a poor diet.

WOW thanks! I didnt realize how many calories they had!! Is there a limit on how much you can have in a day? I wouldnt want to be full on them all day and not eat anything else! Seems like someone might only eat them to fill full all day!!
  • witchymama77
    witchymama77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put them in my smooties, yogurt and such..
    some put them on salads.. i dont know about that.. but worth a try..
    I got mine at a local health food store.. keep them in the fridge..
  • Beauty0619
    Beauty0619 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use them! they are a great source of fiber. I've used them in my yogurt and even sprinkle them on my salad as a crunchy supplement to croutons! vitamin shoppe has them.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've put them on my yogurt. I don't find them to be filling but I'll have them for the nutritional value.
  • runslikeagirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I might try them just for the fact they have protein!! I might get these last 10lbs off finally!!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    They are also coming out in pill form.

Chia.com
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The warning about the calorie content in that CNN article is a bit misguided, since you aren't eating chia seeds by the ounce (one seed is about the size of a poppy seed). You only need a tablespoon (dry) a day and that is about 70 calories. I find it to be more filling if I make the gel first; (plus I like the tapioca-like texture they take on) and then add it to yogurt.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My mom used to put them in fruit punch when we were growing up. I love the texture when they absorb liquid! They sometimes sell them in small bags near the Mexican spices for 99cents if you wanna give it a try.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Actually they have very little protein in them. They are known for omega 3 fatty acids. Plus they can be used as a thinkener. That is why they are good to add to smoothies. It fills you up longer.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I might try them just for the fact they have protein!! I might get these last 10lbs off finally!!
    They have very little protein in them. But they are still really good for you and are considered a super food so they are worth the investment!
  • VeganJP
    VeganJP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ElExGordo ...you, Sir, are hysterical! :laugh: