what is the hcg diet?

Options
I just read a post about a support group. I saw a bottle of drops of HCG at Walmart. I've casually heard people talking about it. I'm curious what it entails. Not saying I will do it but I'm curious how this works?

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    It's where you inject pregnant lady pee and eat 500 calories a day.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What is it? It's a scam, that's what it is.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Run awayyyyyyyyy!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Its a fad diet. In the first "phase" you take "hcg" drops and are only allowed to eat 500 calories/day and not exercise. You can't do much of anything actually because your body can't safely sustain itself on 500 calories. You'll lose weight because you are starving yourself, not because of the fancy drops.
  • I also was wondering what all the hype was about so I looked into it a little. The drops contain the pregnancy hormone which helps your body use all of the fat it would normally store. You also have to eat only 500 calories a day while taking the drops which in my opinion is far to low to be able to exersize or even just feel decent throughout the day. I imagine eating only 500 calories a day you would loose weight but what happens when you start to eat normally again? I would think you would gain pretty quickly going from 500 to say 1200. It was slightly tempting but seems like its reallly a very short term solution and I wonder what it is really doing to your body.
  • aragonas
    Options
    The hcg diet is kind of simple. hcg is the hormone that shows up on a pregnancy test. the diet restricts you to 500 calories a day, and you cant use lotion, chapstick, and several other things including medication of several kinds. What it is supposed to do in theory is force your body to use up its fat stores as you do during pregnancy when you have morning sickness. you can still have a healthy baby, but you start losing the weight so your baby can. except in this case there is no baby your body is just forced to tap into the fat stores. I personally have seen this diet do amazing things. the women i worked with in a pharmacy all did it and seen tremendous amounts of weight loss. However as soon as you stop doing it, they have gained a lot of it back, because it doesnt incorporate excercise. hope this is helpful