Question about HRMs

Options
I'm looking to get an entry-level HRM. Which is better, chest or wrist? Do you recommend any brands? Thanks!

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    stand by for about a thousand people pointing you to Polar HRM's..
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    Yep! I am the number 1 fan of Polar HRM. Do not use a wrist monitor, it it not nearly as accurate as a chest strap. I cannot imagine working out without my polar :-)
  • soulatomic
    Options
    I'm looking to get an entry-level HRM. Which is better, chest or wrist? Do you recommend any brands? Thanks!

Lol, I was figuring as much.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4 and it is wonderful!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    any brand with a chest strap is going to be more accurate than just a wrist monitor.
    polar is a popular brand around here, and thats what i got (ft4, @amazon.com $60) but there are other brands that can be less expensive
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    DEF chest. And Polar all the way.
    Just make sure it calculates cals burned.
    I purchased the FT4 and it is very user friendly and easy to use.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother unless it has a chest strap --- entry level doesn't have to mean worthless, cheap piece of crap :)

Here is an article that helped me choose mine:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    People recommend Polars because they are high quality HRMs. I've had mine for about 2 years now, just changed the battery and have used it a ton.

I have an FT7, it does everything I need and when paired with MFP the weight loss matches up pretty accurately.

According to MFP, my maintenance is 2400, I burn an average of 3000 per week in activity according to my Polar. I eat about 1900-2000 calories per day. I typically lose between 1.5-2 pounds per week.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/90036746.html

HRM USA is the best place to buy new, Ebay if you don't mind used.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I just got a mio motiva off ebay new for $35. Seems accurate to me. This one measures your calories when you work out, so when you feel you hr change you check it to make sure the calorie burn is correct. It does not measure your calories all day like some do. But this was all I needed it for. You also put in your info and how much weight you want to lose and it will tell you how many net calories to have and it also deducts your exercise calories like mfp. I'm very happy with it so far.

I heard that chest straps are annoying and can be more off than wrist monitors because of lag or interference. I personally didn't want to fuss with a chest strap when working out and I don't need my calorie burn monitored when I'm sitting doing nothing. so the mio was good choice for me.