Hello All! New member, looking for much needed support!

Options
Hello everyone! I am 23 years old, married to a perfect man and have a 9 month old daughter. I am looking to lose 15lbs. to get back to my pre-pregnancy size. Until now I have never had to lose weight - I feel at odds about it all. I am tired of "hiding" my body from everyone, including my husband. I have been working out for the past 3 days, usually burning 500 calories each night, have lost 4lbs so far. I am having a hard time meeting the 1200 calorie diet. Seems like I can't get full...Any suggestions on good/healthy meals that might keep me full longer??
I can't wait to start chatting with you all and hear about your progress. Hope you are having a WONDERFUL monday!!
Take care and God Bless,
Kelly

Replies

• tamnel
    tamnel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Give me an idea of what you are eating right now? I am also on this diet and it has been real easy for me. Maybe I can give you some different ideas.

Tammy
  • tamnel
    Options
    I used to eat like that when I first started losing weight. Problem was it really isn't healthy for your body. Here is a run down of how my food diary looks and it has been easy to make.

Breakfast: 1/2 slice English Muffin w/ 1tbsp. peanut butter
    w/ 10-15 small grapes and 1c. orange/apple juice. The next morning I might do 3/4c. of cheerios w/ 1/2 banana and juice.

Lunch: Any kind of salads including taco salad. 1/2c. lowfat, 1% cottage cheese or a vegetable. I bought that 35 cal. bread and take 1 slice and put some shaved ham/turkey w/ mustard. i have really been eating the fruits w/ breakfast or lunch. My main problem was soda's which I have completely kicked but if I do want I would have like 1c. of Sprite that way I didn't feel deprived. Fish is a very good option as well.

Dinner: I have been eating chicken, vegetables, fish or whatever. It is important that you eat well especially since you have a daily calorie intake less than what they call daily survival calories. You will not feel satisfied w/ one pop tart, or only mac and cheese.

Snacks: Quaker has a big bag of "small" rice cakes in different flavors. I get the "caramel corn" so yummy. You can eat like 7ea. for 60 calories. They are great and quick. Also, like 2 sheets of graham cracker & you can add 1tbsp. peanut butter or honey w/ a cup of 1% or 2% milk. Basically, I feel I can eat anything as long as I watch my portions and watch calorie intake.

Just a cheat note. I plateau'd in my weight a while back & couldn't seem to lose at all even working out 5x's a week. I went to my family doctor and they gave me a diet pill for only 30 days to get me going again. You might consider something that might curve your appetite temporarily to help make you feel full during the day. I also was told to stop the strength training for a while and just do cardio till my desired weight loss was reached since I was just toning and building what I have. I am back to losing the extra pounds! YEAH

I hope this might give you some different ideas and was on the right track. Good Luck!

Tam
  • tamnel
    Options
    I just hope it was helpful. Your body can't run w/ that little bit of food & that is what causes your organs to fail (so I hear). If you have a fax# I can fax you a printout from the doctor of what foods equal to what so you can pick out what you really like and mix and match. I have been averaging around 800 to 1200 a day. Never go over and has been real easy. I have a feeling that the diet pills are a big help & I think once I am done w/ them that I will already be disciplined for the 1200 calories a day. I work out at least three times a week now & burn anywhere from 300-500 calories at a time. I am just doing treadmill (30min.), exercise bike (30min.) & the stairmaster (15-20min.). I also have one meal a week that I can cheat. I don't even look forward to that & when it was my time to do my cheat meal I didn't even want a tortilla and made myself a taco salad but I did have a piece of homemade cake. So that tells me that w/ what I have been consuming I am very satisfied.

I think I am much like you in that I am not an overeater but I just didn't know where to start for what was right for my body type. I am 5'4" and in May weighed 196lbs. Everyone that knew my weight was just like, no way! I wear a size 14 right now so I don't feel huge but like you I feel more apt to hide myself from the world since I am single! ha ha

We will get there!
  • tamnel
    Options
    Hey!

No problem. These diet doctors have a neat idea. My best friend loves chips. He made her bring her favorite chips to last appt. & he took them and put some sort of paste on them and made her eat it. She said hasn't craved them at all since then. She doesn't know if it was the paste or just in her head. My downfall was soda's so..... I took what I dislike the most which was grapefruit juice and put it in a dr. pepper. It was awful! To be quite honest, I kicked the caffeine drink frenzy right then. Not sure if it's in my head or what but everytime I think of that taste it just grosses me out. Let me know on the fax#. Have a great day! Tam
  • kathyvdh
    kathyvdh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls,

I have been reading with interest what you have been discussing. I think I have some of the same struggles that both of you are having. I was recently given some good advice and thought this might be a good place to share it. First of all, when you think you are feeling hungry, drink a full 12 oz glass of water and then wait 5 minutes. If you still feel hungry, then eat. Most hunger pangs are really thirst. Secondly, try to visuallize how you will look when you reach your goal. Picture yourself wearing something special. If you really focus on that positive image, you will find that it is easier to stay on the right track because it gives you something to work towards. Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself. In order for the weight to stay off, it has to be a lifestyle change, not a "diet".

Good luck and glad to see that you are keeping the message board going.

Kathy
  • tamnel
    Options
    Kelly:
    Kathy is right, don't get discouraged because you think that you didn't do great today on your diet. We should look at it as a positive lifestyle change not just a fad. My e-mail direct is tammynelson4029@yahoo.com if you would like to e-mail me an address to send the paperwork to. I don't mind and that way it would be a little more confidential. One thing that keeps me going is the support of family & friends & I have had 3 close family deaths since Jan. 05. The first was my 32 year old brother-n-law that died of a heart attack and left my baby sister (24) raising two boys age's 5 & 6 now. Can you believe that? We were all in shock w/ this especially because of his age. Then there was my favorite cousin & my grandmother. My dad has COPD along w/ my uncle that just underwent a lung transplant. I don't want to be like them & I know that if you are overweight & not physically active your immune system is lower than should be & it makes you more succeptible for long term illnesses. I think of all the great things I want to see my kids accomplish in their lives and want to be as active as I can for my grandkids (one day). This is what sparks me! I just love this sight because it is so easy for me to log every little thing I put into my mouth and I am really enjoying talking back & forth w/ you guys. This is funny! You guys will like it. I have been divorced for 4 years (January 2006) & was in a relationship for a while that ended in May 2006 but we are still really good friends. I haven't been asked on a date or anything since. I go out w/ all my friends and all their boyfriends tell me that I am really pretty and I didn't think that I was all that hard on the eyes, "So what is wrong w/ me?" Even w/ just a few pounds lost & many inches I am noticing a whole lotta 2nd glances and having a blast w/ that. I am a huge Texas Country Music Fan & have a close friend that is making his way thru this movement (www.austinallsup.com) & also my ex that I am still close to along w/ many other artists that I have met thru the years that are now phenomenal & traveling all over the states playing what people love. They have loved me from the beginning but this year April 25th thru April 29th at the Larry Joe Taylor Festival in Stephenville, TX I want to be that girl that is being flirted w/ all weekend! ha ha. Hope this put a smile on your face. Tam
  • vicharv
    vicharv Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi

I just signed up for the program a couple of days ago. I have been having great success. The other day I had consumed most of my calories by 2p.m. and felt like I was starving. I decided that if I wanted to eat more I would have to burn some calories first. I worked out (run) and burned many calories also decreasing my appetite. I ended up eating around 200 cal less than that required. For me the biggest diet change has been eating protein and some fat with my carbs. Protein and fat take alot longer to digest so stick with you longer. If you eat small amts for bkfst and lunch you will most likely overeat at dinner. Salads with some dressing with oil (ie: oil and balsamic vinegar) really make me full and are healthful.

If you take a large sheet of paper (12x12) and some small round magnets(from a craft store). Cut out a food pyramid-label it with serving amts, stick it on your fridge. Place a magnet on the correct area whenever you eat. This helps you to see if you're getting your food groups. For me this has made me eat more in certain areas so I felt like I had to eat instead of trying not to eat. I made one for my four kids as well-working beautifully for 4 wks now. They aren't allowed ice cream for bednight snack unless they've fulfilled their required food groups.

Enjoying life
    Vicki
  • telliott21
    telliott21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having water before meals during and after will help fill you up