Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
I need some suggestions for a meal replacement shake. I'm not a morning person, so I try to sleep in as long as I can without making myself late. I'm often tempted to stop by whatever fastfood palce I see, and I need to change that, so I was thinking a meal repleacement shake that I can mix with a water bottle would be right up my alley.

I'd prefer something that is NOT Slimfast or Atkins. At least 20 servings per container too. Oh and it has to taste good!

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Two minutes and the Shakeology people aren't all up on this yet??? LOL!!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My 2 favs are GNC Lean Shakes (25 servings for $25-30 depending on the flavor) & BSN Synth-6 or Lean Dessert (best prices are on Amazon) but it is a little on the expensive side. The best tasting protein shakes I've ever had are from BSN.
  • kellyscomeback
    Options

Oh, just wait. The 'coaches' will be here to self promote in a few more seconds.
  • sgibney78
    Options
    Why a shake? I chronically run late myself and had gotten into the rut of picking something up. Nothing like starting your day with a 700 calorie breakfast, right. Now I go once every two weeks and load up on microwave breakfast from the frozen food section and keep it in the freezer at work. If I drink my breakfast I find I’m super hunger within an hour. Getting a frozen breakfast allows me to keep to a controlled portion that’s normally less than 250 calories.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options

LOL I'm impressed, I don't buy shakeology, its not in my budget and it has too much sugar in it for my liking :]
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You can just get protein powder mix it with frozen fruits, milk and ice...you are good to go! You can also add peanut butter or yogurt too!
  • mario8bit
    Options
    I recommend Garden of Life's RAW Meal Replacement. It has a lot of good stuff in it, nice ratio of protein to carbs, etc, and it doesn't taste half bad.

http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-RAW-Meal-Beyond-Organic-Meal-Replacement-Formula-2-6-lbs-1-2-kg/22342?at=0

Also, in terms of killing hunger cravings, I have a shake and a small bowl of (healthy) cereal and I'm good to go until lunch.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You need...

SouthPark102.gif

BEEEEEEEEEEEEFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what will taste good to you -- turst me. I have so many jugs of crap the someone "loved" and I thought they tasted horrible.

Get yourself to GNC or Vitamins Shoppe and buy a good whey protein isolate -- both of these places let you return or exchange if you don't like it. READ THE LABELS -- all you really need is something that is about 100-200 calories a serving and is whey protein isolate (and not mostly whey concentrate)

The real trick is making it taste good -- most protein powders take awful in just water. Try mixing with other things like part water, part soy milk, almond milk, ice tea, cold coffee or decaf, diety v8 splash, crystal light, mio, powerade zero -- anything you like to drink. Still don't like it? Add other things for flavor like sf syrups, pumpkin pie spice, almond extract, greek yogurt, fruit, PB2 -- be creative. I can pretty much doctor up any protein now to make it taste good to me ---
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Why a shake? I chronically run late myself and had gotten into the rut of picking something up. Nothing like starting your day with a 700 calorie breakfast, right. Now I go once every two weeks and load up on microwave breakfast from the frozen food section and keep it in the freezer at work. If I drink my breakfast I find I’m super hunger within an hour. Getting a frozen breakfast allows me to keep to a controlled portion that’s normally less than 250 calories.

I never thought of this, I'll have to go take a look. Thanks :]
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You need...

SouthPark102.gif

C'mon now, we all know what that did to Cartman! LMAO
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    PHD diet Whey

I use it for Breakfast as I always have to do this on the run.... Keeps me full till lunch and £21 for 20 servings flavours are great too my fav are Chocolate and Chocolate orange, Vanilla is OK too

Lucy
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    You need...

SouthPark102.gif

LOL no, really, I do not need anything that says WEIGHT GAIN 4000 on it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Yes, becasue processed frozen microwave crap is much better than a protein shake. No thanks :)

Drinking a protein shake fills you up a lot more than a bunch of processed carbs My favorite shake is only 205 calorises, 3g carbs and 28g protein...
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You can just get protein powder mix it with frozen fruits, milk and ice...you are good to go! You can also add peanut butter or yogurt too!
    Yup this is what I do...I use unsweentened coconut milk and whatever fruit or veggie I have in the house and so....It usually keeps me full until my mid morning snack then it's lunch time.... this morning I used 1tsp of unsweetened coco - it was like a chocolate unsweetened shake....I so enjoyed it!!!! purchased mine at Trader Joes.....
  • kellyscomeback
    Options

Yes, becasue processed frozen microwave crap is much better than a protein shake. No thanks :)

Drinking a protein shake fills you up a lot more than a bunch of processed carbs My favorite shake is only 205 calorises, 3g carbs and 28g protein...

To add, look for something that has lots of fiber. Fiber takes longer to digest and it can help keep you feeling full longer (2-3 hrs). I make sure mine have at least 5g of Fiber and I'm good for 3 hrs tops.
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms has some tasty products. I drink them when I'm on vacation or traveling and can't make my smoothie.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually blend together a scoop or two of whey protein, some milk/water, a few ice cubes, and other ingredients to taste, like peanut butter, bananas, berries, etc.

One of my new favorites is chocolate/vanilla whey protein mixed with milk, 1tbsp peanut butter, and 1tbsp of sugar free instant butterscotch pudding mix.

If I'm especially tired in the morning (which happens often since I'm not a morning person either) I'll mix in a tsp or two of instant coffee into the water before blending it together with the rest.

Good luck!
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I go with a Whey Protein drink in the morning before and after my workout and it gets me through the morning. Two scoops gives you about 40g protein and it's as easy as pour water/milk, put in protein powder, shake or stir. Done.

If you have a bit more time, throw in a banana, fruit, ice into a blender and make your own smoothie (sometimes I throw in spinach too). Magic bullets are awesome for this.

I don't like meal replacement shakes since they're usually chalky and fake tasting.