Hip pain after a run

Options
Hi all! I'm fairly new to running and have noticed if I go for more than about 3-4 miles my hips are sore the next day or so. Feels like tight muscles that start in my hips and go around to my lower back and rear end. I feel like if i just keep on running my body will adjust and get used to it but any tips to make the day after more comfortable? I have a great pair of running shoes taht were fitted at a running store, so I'm good there. Any other advise?

Replies

• Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I randomly get that pain as well. I started to look up tips on long distance running and found out that it could be bad posture or feet movement during a run. Google tips and they might help you like they are helping me
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    try some extra streching to target that area? Such as putting your foot to your opposite thigh, like you are making the #4 and squating slightly on the standing leg.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    D'oh! I just realized i said somethign that you already knew! My bad!

But I will continue with my yoga recommendation!

Good luck!
  • tammy6270
    Options
    Hip tightness is very common in runners... especially female runners. It's important that you work on strengthening your supporting muscle groups and stretching properly before and after your run. Runners World is a great resource for all of this. Also, a foam roller is key! You should roll out your hips before and after your run as well. Good luck!