When and How often do I weigh in?!?

I'm new MFP and I'm wondering how often I should weigh myself? I've done everyday and thats just awful because if the scale didn't moved I'd want to quit. I'm also wondering if first thing in the morning is the best time? After you excersie? At night? HELP! :) Thanks so much!

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,374 Member
    Personally, I weigh every day but everyone will tell you it's bad for you. I get up first thing in the morning, go to the bathroom and get on the scale. After that I start my day. I only report it on Mondays but seeing the number the rest of the days keeps me on track!
  • omgzstef
    omgzstef Posts: 157
    I weigh myself once a week (usually Thursdays or Fridays) in the morning right after I go to the bathroom! I think in the morning is the most accurate reading because you haven't consumed any food/liquids. Good luck!
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    i weigh all the time but only note what i weigh on a Tuesday morning

11162479.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Trillian73
    Trillian73 Posts: 73 Member
    For me personally, I get discouraged when I see too many daily fluctuations (which is normal) so I force myself to weigh only once a week, on the same day, at the same time of day. I used to do Monday mornings, but that spurred way too many "I'll start over again on Monday" whenever I cheated, which was often on the weekends. I've switched to Fridays now, so even if I have a rough weekend, I don't get discouraged by a bad weigh-in on Monday, and when I have a good weigh-in on Friday, it keeps me more motivated to not "cheat" on the weekends. I weigh first thing in the morning, after I've gone to the bathroom.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Personally, I weigh every day but everyone will tell you it's bad for you. I get up first thing in the morning, go to the bathroom and get on the scale. After that I start my day. I only report it on Mondays but seeing the number the rest of the days keeps me on track!

same for me, except i report on sundays.
    its really a personal choice.. but you should weigh at least once a week and log it on here :)
  • fayemcb
    fayemcb Posts: 1 Member
    I too weigh myself every morning which keeps me on track and record it online once per week. I did Weight Watchers once and with that you're required to weigh in once per week. I find that recording it once per week gives you a goal to work towards each week.
  • LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    I also weigh everyday but only record it once a week. But, I do not weigh everyday until I have started to lose weight because that keeps me motivated! If I have a bad eating day, I do not weigh the following day because that would be bad!!
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    i weigh every morning after the loo but i record it on a monday.
  • I weigh myself and post every sunday in the morning, but i usually weigh myself on wed or thurs to make sure I'm on track for the week. If I see i'm still the same or gained :sad: then I still have a few days to get back on track for my weekly goals.
  • Once a week and try to always do it around the same time. Mornings are best because as the previous post said, you haven't consumed anything. So wake up, take care of your business and hop on the scale. If it doesn't move... don't be discouraged. Just use that for fuel and open a can of whoop *kitten*!
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Once a week should keep you on track and motivated!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    I weigh once a week, first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom. I weigh on Friday mornings so if I have something going on over the weekend I have "flexibility" to work in any special events into my calories and exercise.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Just wanted to share a link that I found that kind of helps with my weighing every day obsession.
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 146 Member
    Great thanks! :) This helped alot!!!
  • TeletextPear
    TeletextPear Posts: 8 Member
    I weigh in first thing Friday morning. It keeps me on track even if Ive had a bad weekend because I still have 5 days to pull back the damage! I think if I had to weigh in on Mondays after bad weekends I'd give up straight away :)