Daniel Fast during weight loss...

Options
Ok... So I'm not trying to discuss or not discuss religion... Mine is mine yours is yours... :indifferent:

However I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone has done a Daniel Fast (very similar to clean eating minus meat and dairy based on the book of Daniel in the Bible)

If so how long did you do it? What were your results? If you did lose weight did you gain it back after the fast? How did you feel during the fast?

Any imput would be very helpful :happy:

Replies

• heather311
    Options
    My family fasts something for the first month of the year. This year my mother-in-law did the Daniel fast, during that period of time. It started off spiritual and had many physical benefits. It kicked off her weight-loss. She only did it for that month, but has continued to make healthy choices. It is a great way to clean your system out! God wants us to treat our bodies right and Bible shows us how God wants to treat them! Pretty neat!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My father is a pastor and both of my parents have done this, as did a portion of the church members. Here in this area, many of the churches, no matter what belief, begin the Daniel Fast in Jan as a way of preparing for the new year to come or in March/April leading up to Easter.

There has not been a person who I have talked with who has not lost weight on this. My own folks did it for the whole month, they are not large people but both had considerable weight loss. At first, like with anything it is a struggle. Making the sudden switch from processed foods, fast foods, sweets etc to Daniel Fast is tough!! But it's empowering as well, knowing you CAN make those changes.

As far as gaining weight back, like any change, plan, diet etc....as soon as you revert back to old eating habits, weight will certainly come back on.

If your considering it, my best to you!!!
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    My family fasts something for the first month of the year. This year my mother-in-law did the Daniel fast, during that period of time. It started off spiritual and had many physical benefits. It kicked off her weight-loss. She only did it for that month, but has continued to make healthy choices. It is a great way to clean your system out! God wants us to treat our bodies right and Bible shows us how God wants to treat them! Pretty neat!

Yes I'm going to do it for the spiritual closeness... I worry I will gain weight though... I'm debating if I should still track my calories or not during this time.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Ok... So I'm not trying to discuss or not discuss religion... Mine is mine yours is yours... :indifferent:

However I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone has done a Daniel Fast (very similar to clean eating minus meat and dairy based on the book of Daniel in the Bible)

If so how long did you do it? What were your results? If you did lose weight did you gain it back after the fast? How did you feel during the fast?

Any imput would be very helpful :happy:

Anytime you fast, cleanse w/e and restrict your calories by a ton, your going to gain some of the weight back after the fast... esp if you don't keep up what your eating go back to eating your old ways.

Plus any weight loss won't be actual fat loss but mostly water loss and prob. some muscle.

I personally wouldn't fast was a way to get spiritual closer(thats what my small group is for!) but if you think you want to, then thats your decision.
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it is great and you will lose some weight. Just know that if you do it for a month (like I did) as and actual spiritual fast the weight loss is a bonus but you will gain it back. The fast itself is awesome though. You will feel great after a couple of days. Even in the Bible the King noticed Daniel looking younger and healthier not eating the kings food..... Good luck
  • Sue707
    Options
    there is a new, great book i just saw out - written by a Christian dietitian on fasting and the Daniel Fast. Definitely worth checking out: https://www.createspace.com/4032160
  • cjivan
    cjivan Posts: 70
    Options
    Im doing i.f. Its worked well for me. Utube the fastingtwins
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi I would track your cals even on the daneil.if you can't getenough cal there's raw nuts .I did the fast for 40 days and lost about 12 .just because you stop fasting dose not mean you will you will gain the weight back you can just continue to eat healthy and track your cals ..as you would be doing on your weight loss journey