not too sure what to call this ..

Options
I have just been browsing through peoples success stories and have noticed people who have started at the same weight as me have often had totally different measurements to me. Most of the time a lot bigger than mine. Anyone know why this is ?? Totally confuses me !!

Any input would be great. Thanks all :happy:

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too. Like someone will have the same start weight and same height but totally different clothing sizes, hip measurements etc. I think it's just that we all carry our weight so differently. And if they aren't the same height then that would be a big factor in the difference.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how my sister, who appears to have more body fat than me, wears the same sized clothes that I do!
  • Ky_Cooms
    Options
    Everyone carries their weight differently. And muscle is about 18% more dense than fat, so if you have more muscle than other people with your weight, you should be smaller than them. Height also effects weight, so they may be shorter than you. And there's always the chance that someone read centimeters instead of inches on the tape measure lol. =]
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    body fat % makes a huge difference.

1 lb of fat takes up more space than 1 lb of muscle does. so if you are more muscle % than fat %, you will have smaller measurements at (random) 150lbs.

if you have less muscle and more body fat, you will have much larger measurements at 150lbs because that fat needs a lot more space to hang out in than the muscle does.

This is a great reason to set a goal size or shape instead of goal weight. Personally, in the last 5 lbs (3 months! grr) I have gone from a size 8 pant to a size 4. Yeah, the 4s are still kinda snug, but the 8s pull off w/o unbuttoning. :) same weight, more or less, very different size!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i noticed that as well..i try not to think about stuff like that, it makes me jealous that a girl my height and weight can wear an 8 pant, while i am just now fitting into a 10..LoL
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    My guess?

MAGIC!

doug_henning.jpg

No, but seriously... body composition can differ from one individual to another, even if they may weigh the same. Weight versus mass or sheer volume.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    OMG...you mean we are NOT all the SAME. (Insert Joey Lawrence WHOA!!)

People, we are all different. Clothes manufacturers and designers all all different. Body types are all different.