Are You Ready For a 5K?

Options
I started my new life a few months ago with a couple of goals in mind. Since I turn 40 in February, I wanted to lose 40 pounds by then (and more afterwards) and I wanted to prepare myself to run a 5K.

It just so happened that there was an indoor 5K scheduled a few days after my birthday. It was perfect. I would lose 40 pounds and then run the 5K!

I started with the C25K program and in the past few months, I have lost 27 pounds. I was well ahead of my goal...and then they cancelled the 5K!

Well, I'm going to run it anyway and I need your help.

If you have a goal to run a 5K, but haven't yet done it, or if you have run 100 5Ks in your lifetime, I ask that you please join me on Saturday, February 11, 2012 as I run my first 5K

I don't expect you to come to my city and run it. You run a 5K that day wherever you are. (For the record, it is in the middle of winter here in February, but I'm still determined to run it.) I think if I get a few people to run this with me, it will help me prepare better.

Thank you in advance for any support you give. (Even a few helpful hints on what to do to prepare would be awesome.)

Replies

• KavemanKarg
    Options
    Pretty sure by then you will be running 5K every day :)
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    As luck would have it, that'll be a running day so I'll be doing it with you: or rather, before you as I'm in the UK. I will have run before you're out of bed, so you'd best not let me down :)

But yeah, you'll be on your way to 10k by February, man.
  • IamEric
    IamEric Posts: 67
    Options
    Pretty sure by then you will be running 5K every day :)

Don't count on that. I pretty much suck as a runner, but this C25K has helped. (I still feel like I am not doing something right with it because it's not as easy as it looks.)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I'm in :)
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Because I just today decided that I was going to do the C25K program - and February in Texas is springtime :wink: - I will take you up! I figure if there's a definate goal to hit, I'll be more motivated to actually follow through. I just need some advice on running shoes...is it really better to have shoes with "running" on the label, or are "walking" shoes fine?
  • c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I am running a 5k on November 19th. I will most definitely be running with you on your 5K day. Best of luck in your training. You will be invincible. Don't let the distance scare you. You can do it.
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'll join you. I need a reason to keep running once the snow's on the ground (I hate running on treadmills). I've done a few races before but only ran the whole 5k in one of them. I semi followed the c25k plan except at the end of the intervals I would run as long as I could. I only finished week 4 before switching entirely to just running as far as I could. That got me up to 5k though I'm very slow. No idea if that would work for you too.
  • IamEric
    IamEric Posts: 67
    Options
    I know that it seems like a long way out, but I really don't think I will be ready by then. I really want to lose some pounds before doing it so I don't put any more pounds on my knees than needed.

Thank you all for signing up.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just came across this site today: http://www.runday.com/
    which does virtual runs, so as you said, every one runs a 5K wherever they are. They have one scheduled for Feb 12-14....
  • AnitaMcKenna
    AnitaMcKenna Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    D'you know I've walked 5K today in around 50 mins, while pushing my 3 year old daughter in her buggy, so am sure I'll be up for running 5K by Feb!

I'm in!!!! :blushing:
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm determind to TRAIN for this. I'm hoping the cold/snow doesn't deter me. I'm HOPEFULLY in. We can help each other along!
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this with you all.
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I am going to run (or walk, or crawl LOL) the Pat Tillman Run in Tempe in April, so that will be a good starter for me. I did it last year and want to improve my time. Congrats to you for sticking with it even though they cancelled it.
  • duchess_natas
    duchess_natas Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The words I was looking for yesterday when I came up with this idea was Flash Mob. A 5k Flash Mob Day! What a great idea. You already know I'm in, since it was our idea to begin with. However, I have talked my Hubby into joining me/us. May the training begin!!!
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    allicia i would absolutely positively get good running shoes. Believe me once you put them on you will see the difference and never go back. My favorite Asics...Gel Kayano...but be prepared to drop some money. But, your feet back and everything else will love you for it!
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am so in!! I just decided to start the couch to 5k myself. By the way...I hate running! LOL But, I think I hate it because I currently suck at it and do nothing but suck wind! My husband is a personal trainer..Ironic right? and he swears by running...he has been encouraging me to do it for a while and I have resisted. But...I am done resisting and I am going for it. But...I knew the only way I would do it is if I gave myself a goal...to run an actual race. So that is what I am gonna do! I am going to sign up for one the week before your date...in Disneyland!! LOL But, I will probably do one in December too. I now have a group of about 6 other people who all want to do it with me...so I am excited! Good luck...I am sure you will be ready before Feb!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in, though I might need a reminder as the date gets closer.

I'm in upstate NY, so I'll be in the throes of winter at that point and might need a little extra motivation to keep me going. This could be perfect!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm in, though as some others have said I'll need a reminder. Good Luck!
  • MsGypsyJones
    Options
    I'm late. But I'm in.
  • kbuckaloo
    Options
    Totally in! Just ran a 5K on Saturday for the Susan G. Komen event and it was great! Such a rush!