working out on an empty stomach???

TequillaLover89
TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
edited October 3 in Fitness and Exercise
I heard from someone that they always work out on an empty stomach and that works for them. Does this work for anyone else? Whenever I don't eat first I get dizzy and sick, I can't even stand up. Just curious if something is wrong with me. Maybe he was talking about just running and I'm talking about weight lifting. I would imagine running would be the same bad outcome.

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Honestly, i've tried this and feel awful. You will get nothing out of doing this apart from a weak workout. You need to eat sensibly prior to your exercise and give enough time for it to digest. Exercising on an empty stomach is dangerous really in my opinion, also, you won't feel mentally prepared for the exercise which coincides with whatever you do physically.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
    Sometimes I run in the mornings before breakfast and don't seem to have any problems. Just food for thought.
  • I would eat something light to give you some energy.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I enjoy training fasted but this is something that should be dictated primarily by personal preference. If you do not enjoy training on an empty stomach then you shouldn't do it.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Strongly agree with Dizylinds....Each morining you wake up in a catabolic state. This meaning since you've been fasting durring you're 8 hour sleep, your body resorts to finding an alternate source for energy. This is were muscle breakdown happens.

You must break the fast as soon as possible to regain overall strength, and feel vibrant. Weight training with low carbs or no carbs will further promote muscular breakdown, and will build insignificant to no gains at all. I was a victim to this theory and never got anywhere :(

Many people can live off a low cal/carb diet or running on an empty stomach every morning. After being done for so long the body has reprogrammed itself to survive off of neglected nutrients and have retrained their metabolisims to slow down to keep the body afloat. This will cause you to hit plateaus, and reduce that fat loss that was first noticed in the begining.

We've heard it time and time again. "Eat to lose weight" I'm a believer now. Eat healthy, with sensable portions at least 5 times a day. This will keep your metabolisim up, and you will feel a positive pump with your weight training every time.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    On days that I weight train, I always eat a small snack before the workout. An apple with peanut butter, an egg with 1 slice of toast, a protein shake, leftovers, etc. Usually adds up to 150 calories or less.

On days when I just do cardio, I don't eat beforehand. The jumping up and down becomes painful if my stomach has undigested food in it.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I find I don't get as good of a workout if I don't have something to eat within an hour before. If I'm not able to eat a meal I'll at least eat a couple of cheese sticks, a protein bar, or a protein shake. Do what works for you!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I think strength training on an empty stomach is a bad idea, but I don't think cardio is. Personal opinion. I usually get to the gym, hit the treadmill or elliptical, drink my morning shake, then lift. Works for me.
This discussion has been closed.