Too Ashamed to go to the GYM

Options
I love to swim, but I'm too ashamed to be seen in a bathing suit. I got my bathing suit out of the closet today and that's as far as I got.

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    screw everyone else. if everyone was perfect, we wouldn't need to be in there.
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I know how you feel. And, really I could care less what anyone else thinks. I just am so uncomfortable in my own skin, that's what bothers me. Not sure how to get over it either...
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Do it anyway. Once you're in the water you won't be thinking about anyone else.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It took me some courage to walk into the gym for the first time. Then I saw all the other out of shape people there and didn't feel so bad. Just focus on where you want to be and not where you are and you can get in there.

The first time is always the hardest.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Good first step! Next time move your swimsuit and gym bag to the front door, the next time put it in the car, then go to the gym! Almost everyone there is embarassed or ashamed of something about their body or the way they look. Don't let that stop you from getting to do something you love that will make you feel better and be healthier.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Do you judge everyone you see when you go to the pool? Well , they ain't judging you either. Get out there! Once you're in the pool, all they can see if your beautiful face anyway!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way, but I think this issue is largely self-induced and not reality.

I will occasionally hear out of shape people say that they are scared to lift weights because they think other people are laughing at them.

When I see someone lifting weights who is obviously out of shape, I think "Wow, good for you, you're making good decisions and doing something about it!".

I really think that the vast majority of people don't really care, and aren't judging.

Good luck with your fitness goals and don't get down on yourself.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way when I started taking classes at the Y. I felt like people were looking at me like, "can she even handle this?". But you know what, 1) they are there to get fit as well. I promise you that you are not the only one that has those misgivings. and 2) most likely no one will be paying attention to you like you think they are, and if they ARE then they probably think Bravo!

Just do it. Pretty soon you will forget all about the apprehension and just enjoy yourself. I promise!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    screw everyone else. if everyone was perfect, we wouldn't need to be in there.

And those that do look good, didn't always start out that way. Go and do your thing. Before long you will be one of those, that others are jealous of!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Throw a T-shirt over your suit and just get in......do it for yourself!:bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    No one goes there to look at you.

Go, you'll be glad you did. :flowerforyou:
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Do it for you!
    It's okay, first time will be hard but it'll get easier! I promise :)

Have a great swim! ;)
  • melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You aren't the only person who is going to the gym to improve the way they feel about themselves. Maybe you'll even meet someone that can help you on your journey.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree screw all else, but I do wear shorts over mine just because I want to. Go on water aerobics are great and will burn calories
  • SexSeaCow
    SexSeaCow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My Mom says the same thing and it's tragic. Swimming is such a good workout for your entire body. We all have to start somewhere - forget what anyone else thinks and focus on how great it will feel to swim and watch your body tone up, and how fantastic it will be when you reach your goal and can step out confidently in your suit. If swimming is what will get you there, don't let anything stop you.
    A quote I happened upon recently made me laugh and stuck with me..."You'd worry a lot less about what other people think of you if you knew how seldom they do"
    GOOD LUCK!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Don't be ashamed. You have to ignore people who are rude. Be proud of who you are at ALL TIMES and if your trying to improve your temple because YOU feel like you need or want to then fine. Those who give looks of judgement to or say things to others that are different than they may be are just showing their ignorance and the fact they don't have love. Like someone else said, Scew them.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bingo; I signed up for a gym membership a few years ago and never went, finally canceled a year later. I exercise at home; maybe try to go during off hour times and ease into it?
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I got into my bathing suit for the first time in years just this week. I've been putting it off and putting it off just because of feeling so self-conscious.

I'm so glad I finally plucked up courage. It was wonderful! No-one noticed me (once in the water, you all look alike - only heads poke out after all!) and I am very proud of having managed 32 lengths (half a mile) There is no way I could run that far!

Go for it and be glad!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Don't be. You are working towards a better you and should be proud that you've made that choice. I go to water aerobics 2-3 days a week and let me tell you I was BIG when I started last year (not that I'm small now) but I didn't care. There are ladies of all ages and sizes in class and noone looks down on you. The lifeguards and my instructor as well as some of the participants are rooting me on in my weight loss progress and I get compliments all the time. GO TO THE POOL, you won't regret it.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    I used to feel that way. Finally, I realized:

1) Most people are too focused on their own work, anyway, to be paying attention to what I'm doing--I am not the center of the world's attention. :-D

2) If there are stupid people who want to sit there and judge me, it's really not my problem. Life's too short.

Once I focused on these two basic truths, the gym stopped being a source of stress, and I just started goiing and getting the job done.