Crunches?

Options
I have a problem with the fat around my belly. I am doing the best i can on exercising every day. Besides of eating smaller portions, i feel i should do crunches or ?, how many should i do everyday or night? :grumble:

Replies

• lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Crunches won't get rid of belly fat, no matter how many thousands you do. You will just have bigger ab muscles under the fat :( Cardio to reduce fat is the only way to reduce belly fat, and even then for women, it is still hanging on there forever! That's how it seems to me anyway. I am almost at goal weight, do ab work all the time, body fat % down to ~19, and still have belly fat that I am not happy with. I'll keep trying though :)
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I try to do 100 crunches each day. Usually I do the first 50 straight, then 20, then 3 sets of 10 to get to 100 total. Sometimes I do the first 70 straight then 2 sets of 15. Start by doing as many as you can without stopping. Then do smaller sets untill you have done 100.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Crunches will tone up the muscle that is UNDERNEATH the fat. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce - my problem area is below the waist.
  • SexSeaCow
    SexSeaCow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Crunches are basically useless. Even if you do get definition from them, unless you have really low body fat %, it won't be the definition you're looking for. They tend to bulk up the muscle, rather than lengthen and tone.

Solution: Do cardio to burn off excess belly fat and do exercises that target your core, obliques and lower abs. (Your obliques are great to tone because they wrap around your midsection like a natural corset. When they get toned they really trim down your waistline.

If you want suggestions on exercises let me know. :) GOOD LUCK!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i like leg lifts better. much better on my back. start ot with 2 sets of 101 and add a set each time you do them! hits that lower mama belly! lay on back with legs together and slowly lift straight up. then slowly lower then. feel the burn!!!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I had any Ab workouts dealing with getting on the floor! I would suggest Jillian 6w/6p it worked for me! Not sure of the look you are going for but she shred fat and gave me some definition to start with!
  • Leyla135
    Options
    Thanks for responding, i really appreciate it what excercise would you recommend.?