Lack of appetite and not eating enough

Options
I changed the way I eat so that I am excluding most carbs (especially gluten) because that is the kind of food I typically overeat on. Also, my body seems to not really digest carbs very well anyway. But now I feel like I am not eating enough. On top of that I don't have much of an appetite. That wouldn't be so bad but I am afraid I am going into a starvation level of calories. On a good day I will eat 1200 calories. Usually I have to force myself into that much. I don't eat diet or lite versions of anything. I eat things like bacon and cheese but I am still not eating my caloric requirements (I should be getting like 1650 a day in). Any suggestions on what I can do?

Replies

• celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    I think you shouldnt exclude all the carbs, but its up to you! Maybe you can add nutrient-enriched chocolate powder in the milk (i use nesquik), to add some calories; add a daily dose of nuts (they have good oils for you) to your snacks, hum, greek yogurt, dark chocolate... food that is good for you (not empty of nutrients) and that you can add to your snacks!! Hope this helped a bit, good luck!
  • auctoritas
    Options
    If you're low-carbing it, you can add fat to what you are eating by adding olive oil or butter, and sauteing things in coconut oil. Add heavy whipping cream to your coffee if you drink it. If your body can handle it (some people can't) add a spoonful of natural peanut butter. A handful of nuts like almonds is good too. But for me, adding really creamy sauces like alfredo, or putting caesar or ranch on my salads/dipping vegetables in it, and using more butter on things, really helps me meet my caloric goals for the day. Alternatively, there are very low carb protein powders out there that you can add to coconut or almond milk for extra calories, and I find when I'm not hungry (and I'm often not on low carb) drinking things is a lot easier than trying to eat something. Good luck! If low carb is really helping you, stick to it. This board is not very low-carb friendly, but there are a few low-carb threads there you can check for help.