How do you steam chicken?

Options
jtintx
jtintx Posts: 445 Member
I have some chicken tenders in the fridge that I plan on having for dinner tonight and I was thinking about steaming them. How do you do it? Do you just "fry" it in water with a lid on the pan or do you have to put it in a steamer basket? How long does it normally take? Do you season before, after, or during steaming? I know....I'm not much of a cook.:tongue:

Replies

• jtintx
    Options
    I have some chicken tenders in the fridge that I plan on having for dinner tonight and I was thinking about steaming them. How do you do it? Do you just "fry" it in water with a lid on the pan or do you have to put it in a steamer basket? How long does it normally take? Do you season before, after, or during steaming? I know....I'm not much of a cook.:tongue:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about just boiling the chicken in water and eating it?
    I've never heard of "steaming" chicken per say...although I am sure you could call it that.

I have heard of boiling it (either in plain or seasoned water) though.
    I've done it to make enchilada meat, etc.
  • amccarville
    amccarville Posts: 185
    Options
    If I am not grilling chicken I put it in a pan with some water. Keep the lid on, watching close cause you'll have to keep adding water. I season them after they have cooked for a couple min. It really only takes about 10 min. They are really tender and yummy.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I've pan "fried" chicken in just water before. It comes out pretty good, but you have to stay there and watch it. You only want a little bit of water so the chicken doesn't stick. I season beforehand and I season it heavily, because some of it will end up in the water. Do use a lid to keep the moisture in, but stir or flip them frequently. It doesn't take too long...
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I usually have a little bit of water in the pan ( probably the amount you would use to fry an egg) and a few spices, cover it and leave it on medium heat. Usually the chicken has enough water in it but i check occassionally and add a little more if it runs out.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've never steamed chicken but I have poached it. Poaching results is really juicy and tender chicken without any added fat.
    Just put chicken in a saucepan and put just enough water in to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower the heat to a simmer. I usually simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes for chicken breasts and 10 to 15 minutes for chicken tenders. I've never seasoned it though because I usually cook chicken this way when I'm using it in a soup or casserole. You could probably season the water a bit to add some flavor.
    Also, baking the chicken in a tiny amount of water is another great way to not add extra fat. You can season the chicken before this way - and since it's submerged in just a tiny amount of water, the seasoning won't wash off the top. I bake chicken breasts at 400 degrees F for about 30 or 35 minutes. Chicken tenders may take a little less time.
    Hope this helps! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jtintx
    Options
    Are you talking about just boiling the chicken in water and eating it?
    I've never heard of "steaming" chicken per say...although I am sure you could call it that.

I have heard of boiling it (either in plain or seasoned water) though.
    I've done it to make enchilada meat, etc.
    I had my first steamed chicken at a chinese restaurant last week and it was VERY yummy! Hope mine turns out as good.

Thanks everyone!