Heart Rate monitor

Options
What exactly is a heart rate monitor? How is it used? How does it work? Best kind to get? Is it useful, and worth the money?

Thanks

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    At its simplest, it allows you to monitor your heart rate during exercise. It also estimates calories burned.

You put a chest strap on, and wear a watch which reads the transmitter on the strap.

Those with a chest strap are the only accurate ones (though calorie burn is still a guess, though a far better guess than the machines or MFP).

I have a Polar FT7. I love it and haven't exercised without it since I got it. I find it incredibly motivating.
  • tommys
    tommys Posts: 61
    Options
    A good quality heart rate monitor like the Polar FT40 will monitor your heart rate while your working out and give you a more accurate count of calories burned. It can also support your effort to raise your heart rate and train at peak levels. I have absolutely loved mine and I purchased another one for my wife, she feels the same way! If you get one though don't go cheap get you a good quality one b/c the last thing you want are inaccurate burn totals! Good Luck! I bought both of mine on ebay for about $72 each!
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    What exactly is a heart rate monitor? How is it used? How does it work? Best kind to get? Is it useful, and worth the money?

Thanks
    As the name implies, a hrm monitors your heart rate and helps you stay within your target heart rate, and gives a more accurate calorie burn. I can't speak on other hrms, but I have a Polar FT7 and love it. It consists of a chest strap & wristband.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it! Best $$$$ related to weight loss that I have ever spent. I found out that the reason that I was not losing like I thought I should be was because I was actually burning 60% more calories in most of my workouts than I was crediting myself for and as a result I was undereating. Since getting my HRM in August, I have lost 16lbs as opposed to the first 16lbs that took me 5 months!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Those with a chest strap are the only accurate ones (though calorie burn is still a guess, though a far better guess than the machines or MFP).

I don't buy that at all. I tried a $30 wrist watch HRM and it gave me the same exact heart rates as a friend's Polar, and the treadmill I was on. All 3 matched each other. As for calorie burn, the one I have doesn't track calorie burn, because to me it isn't important. I include my exercise into my TDEE, so I'm less concerned about the number of calories burned and more concerned about exercising for strength and endurance gains.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    I don't buy that at all. I tried a $30 wrist watch HRM and it gave me the same exact heart rates as a friend's Polar, and the treadmill I was on. All 3 matched each other. As for calorie burn, the one I have doesn't track calorie burn, because to me it isn't important. I include my exercise into my TDEE, so I'm less concerned about the number of calories burned and more concerned about exercising for strength and endurance gains.

Well, congrats. You found the only watch-only model that's accurate.
  • mima2mmcna
    mima2mmcna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have an opinion on a heart rate monitor that works well in the pool?
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    Does anyone have an opinion on a heart rate monitor that works well in the pool?

The Polar models are waterproof - you just shouldn't push the buttons on the watch while under water. I have used mine in the pool and have never had a problem.
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Well, congrats. You found the only watch-only model that's accurate.

You are wrong! We have compared the wrist only with the chest strap. They are within 50 calories of each other. That is good enough for me on a 1 hour workout.