Lara Bar

Options
Has anyone tried the Lara Bar cookie dough or chocolate brownie flavors? Are they as satisfying as they sound? I've got a mean sweet tooth that comes out at night.

Replies

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I never got to try them, I had the lemon zest a few times and I LOVE it, but has oats and gluten, which I don't tolerate too well.
  • mballadares
    Options
    They are amazing! Used to use them for my triathlon training. they are not as sweet as you would think. I would purchase one bar if I were you and try it that way first.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've tried the chocolate chip cookie dough and I thought it was pretty good. I haven't tried the other one yet.
  • Dobesrule
    Options
    I haven't had the flavors you mentioned but I have tried a few other ones. I think they are just okay. Have you heard of Think Thin Bars. There are approx 230 calories in a bar and no sugar. I think eating half as a snack is satisfying and a bit of a chocolate fix. It isn't like eating a candy bar but enjoyable. Her is link the Think Thin website

http://www.thinkproducts.com/2011/store/protein-bars
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I never got to try them, I had the lemon zest a few times and I LOVE it, but has oats and gluten, which I don't tolerate too well.

some of the flavors are gluten free, apple pie, cashew cookie, and I think the peanut butter one is also..I use these after workouts because they are one of the few gluten free, soy free, dairy free bars there are out on the market.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter chocolate chip one is SO GOOD! I'll echo what someone else said - buy one and try it. I've found that everyone likes different flavors, so you just have to find the ones you like :).
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I haven't had the flavors you mentioned but I have tried a few other ones. I think they are just okay. Have you heard of Think Thin Bars. There are approx 230 calories in a bar and no sugar. I think eating half as a snack is satisfying and a bit of a chocolate fix. It isn't like eating a candy bar but enjoyable. Her is link the Think Thin website

http://www.thinkproducts.com/2011/store/protein-bars

I've tried these and I really liked them, but I try to stay away from maltodextrin because it makes me really sick.
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lara bars are weird at first and not what I expected. but then I found myself craving them. a lot of them of sweetened with dates and I think it is really sweet. i haven't had those specific flavors but I like the other ones. if you go into expecting a snickers you won't be pleased. :P Also, I am pretty sure they are gluten free.

PS-The ones I have had have all natural and simple ingredients in them. Which makes me really feel like even though I am indulging, I am still totally being healthy.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    delicious!! mint chocolate chip and peanut butter is my favorite !! i consider them candy bars :) haha
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I just double checked these bars, and it says that they may contain wheat, so not gluten free.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    http://www.larabar.com/about/gluten-free

Becky1971, did you mean to say that the Larabars may have gluten in them? The labels I've read, and the website says they are gluten free......
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options

The lemon zest Larabar doesn't have oats or gluten in it. The Luna bar does though. Two different companies.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.larabar.com/about/gluten-free

Becky1971, did you mean to say that the Larabars may have gluten in them? The labels I've read, and the website says they are gluten free......

They just have:

dates
    cashews
    almonds
    lemon juice concentrate
    natural lemon flavor

Luna Bars on the other hand have all kinds of stuff in them including soy.
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lara Bars went on sale at the grocery store the other day so I but almost every flavor. The first one I tried was the Coconut pie one. Yuck. It's ok, but it doesn't taste like coconut pie. After thast first one I was a little wary, but the rest were very yummy! The cookie and chocolate and brownie ones were good! The chocolate ones had just enough chocolate to satisfy a chocolate craving. Also I would say they are definately sweet!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    There is a Tropical Fruit Tart one that is YUMMY!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love Larabars, but limit them since they're 220 calories apiece. It's healthy fruit though, all raw, vegan, etc. Cashew cookie is my poison. I always have one stuffed into my purse or desk drawer for emergencies. :)