Party and drinking in conflict with my diet

Options
Hi there,

So I kinda have a problem with alcohol and partying. Not that I'm an alcoholic, i'm not. I'm not a huge drinker, it's not a daily thing but i think i'd get close to wasted like twice a month, and i have a beer maybe twice a week.

I work in a restaurant and it's quite the culture, drinking some good wine, having a beer after rough services with the whole team.

I believe it's best not to drink at all if you're serious about cutting some weight, but it's part of who I am, I love the conviviality and I guess i'm french and i love the taste of wine and beer.

Do you think it's possible to stay fit with these kind of habits ?

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Mate, I'm Scottish, I'm like wasted 90% of the time :L

I just factor in the calories as I do with food, either work out to make the calories, or not eat as much to save calories!
  • jule_sea
    Options
    It absolutely is but you have to find a balance. Giving up your normal life style means that you will not stick with something in the long run. I recommend working out on days that you drink to offset the drinking.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Totally fine, as long as you prepare it. Eat low cal high protein filling foods during the day, and drink low cal drinks. :) I do the same. In fact everyday that I have calories left, I drink.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the exact problem.

I like the advice you are getting, and depending on your goals, moderation probably will work. I hear in order to lose body fat, you have to cut out the alcohol. I have def not done this, I am just saying. ;)

GL!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not condoning getting excessively drunk or anything... but you will see runner's from all over the globe who are in amazing shape that will tell you the same thing... I run for beer!!!

It's true!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I drink at the club, so I literally burn all the calories dancing :)
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of sugar in alcohol.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've had easily 100-120 beers in the last couple months, and lost 35lbs doing it. Just account for the calories like everything else. No big deal.
  • kowai
    kowai Posts: 14
    Options
    Makes sense :)

I really can't work out because of my horrible schedule but I still lost weight. It was just all the bad food during party, nuts etc, that dug me deep ^^

I dance like all the time so I guess it helps too.

All in all I managed to lose weight by just cutting my food portions half, it's just been slow.

Thanks for your answers
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I know how that goes (restaurant after-work culture).... all I have to say is that Guinness is the most nutritious beer.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you want to lose weight, you have to cut the calories, including calories from alcohol.

If you're only having beer or wine a couple of times a week, that shouldn't be too hard to work into your calorie allowance. Yes, maybe it means switching to a (*shudder*) light beer and only having one or two, but it's definitely manageable.

As for getting wasted a couple of times a month, I would try to take note of what you're drinking. So many drinks are packed with sugar and carbs. So what I would do if just try to offset the damage. Get your drinks mixed with low-suger juices or diet sodas. Drink simple (like straight up vodka or whiskey or whatever you like) instead of cosmos, margaritas, etc. When I was dieting I would also alternate my drinks with just plain water or a diet soda or something like that. I didn't get as smashed, of course, but my diet didn't go completely off the rails either.

You can also try to get more exercise. If you're at a bar, try standing instead of sitting. If you're at a club, dance dance dance!
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    I'm struggling with this as well, as I am a junior in college and like to party...
    I made the decision this week to stop drinking for now.. see if it helps me lose weight faster.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't try to quit all together. If you're totally giving up your social lifestyle and something that you enjoy, you won't stick with your dieting and excercise. Does it matter to you what you drink? I've switched to pretty much always getting vodka diet or vodka water. Yes, if it's a night at a club and I'm having a lot of drinks, that still adds up, but I'm also dancing the whole time! I agree with the others- make sure you count it into your calories just like anything else. This is just a personal preference, but if I'm literally going somewhere to have "a drink" I generally don't want to waste 150 calories on a beer when I could get a diet coke instead. I almost always go to happy hour with my co-workers on Fridays. If I'm not planning on going out that weekend, I don't mind using some of my calories on a few drinks with them. However, if I know I'm going out to a club or a party or something later that weekend, I want to save my drinking calories from that- so I'd rather just order a diet coke at happy hour. Yep, it definitely gets me a lot of ribbing from my coworkers (good thing I'm losing weight, because they've never known me to turn down a drink in the past and the first time I did it, they all immeaditly thought I was pregnant), but hey- I'm losing weight!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I know how that goes (restaurant after-work culture).... all I have to say is that Guinness is the most nutritious beer.

Interesting, never heard that one before. I know that Guinness is one of the lightest beers at only 125 calories (outside of actual, crappy light beer). Never heard about it being nutritious though.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Alcohol slows your metabolic rate so I tend to stay away from drinking during meals. If I have a beer or other kind of adult beverage I make sure it's at the very end of that day, that I don't eat while/after, and I count the calories to my daily goals.
  • kowai
    kowai Posts: 14
    Options
    Ok :)

Personally i don't really care what kind of drink it is. After work i used to drink 0.5 or 0.33L beer with some peach sirup. So I drink 0.25 and cut the sirup and I guess it's better.

As of parties, I usually get hot with rum and some pineapple juice or stuff like that. I also cut the stuff I used to eat during services, french fries here and then, bread, chocolat deserts etc. Only water and I'm usually hungry after work but I finish work at 1 or 2 am every night so even if i have trouble falling asleep,

I see good results almost every morning just not eating at work ^^

Anyways thanks a lot for your insight, I think i'll just do the logical thing : count it as calories and if i plan to party, i'll just have to be reasonable and won't destroy my calorie plateau like I may use to ^^
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Dude I feel your pain.

I've been drinking at least every weekend for 6 or 7 years with no real big break. I'm abstaining from alcohol until halloween, which will be 3 weeks in total and it's the longest I remember going without a beer since I was 17. It actually feels really good, I might go longer than my original goal, and I still party with my friends at bars and houses but I just drink water. Sometimes at house parties I fake drinking by filling a beer bottle with water or putting a lime wedge in my cup to pull off a gin and tonic. It's actually a lot more fun than it probably sounds. And I feel really good about myself, and it's not only about the calories, I bet my liver is ecstatic. It sounds like you don't drink as much as I used to though, so I'm sure factoring it into your calorie count will work just fine.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've switched to white wine spritzers. Kinda of girly but at around 80 calories a glass it works for me.