Late Night Snacking?

Options
Who goes to bed to stop the late night snacking? Thats been my biggest battle so far.

Replies

• cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Trying to hit the sack by 10:00p, otherwise I watch stupid late night tv and snack on junk, or sit here and type on MFP
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Trying to hit the sack by 10:00p, otherwise I watch stupid late night tv and snack on junk, or sit here and type on MFP

At the moment I'm doing both...stupid I need to just go to bed and get up early to fight the fight again
  • watchthis
    Options
    I go to bed earlier now to avoid snacking!!!!!!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you can fall asleep early then that's bonus! More sleep for you!

That being said, just going to mention that you can consider shifting more calories to the evening time and eat a little less calories during the AM/afternoon, and provided you end at the same totals, you will get the same results.

There was a long held belief that late night eating leads to weight gain because your metabolism slows down during sleep, and this has been well established as false.

In other words, go ahead and snack before bed but you need to budget it into your daily intake beforehand.
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options

That being said, just going to mention that you can consider shifting more calories to the evening time and eat a little less calories during the AM/afternoon, and provided you end at the same totals, you will get the same results.

There was a long held belief that late night eating leads to weight gain because your metabolism slows down during sleep, and this has been well established as false.

In other words, go ahead and snack before bed but you need to budget it into your daily intake beforehand.

Its not so much that I want to eat...its more WHAT I want to eat...cookies, chips etc. Ive already had my half a candy bar for the day so I need to eat healthy or not eat (at least thats my opinion)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking is not necessarily bad for you. My doctor told me that's a myth. However, WHAT you eat makes a big difference.

Late-night snacking on sugar or carbs is bad for you. Sugar and carbs begin digesting & turning to glucose even before they hit your stomach, and are designed to give you quick bursts of energy. But if you don't use them right away, they'll be stored as fat. So unless you do a workout right before you go to bed, you shouldn't eat carbs before bed either.
    But if you are hungry, you can always eat something with protein. Protein takes longer to digest, and it provides slow-burning, steady energy. Even if you're asleep, your metabolism is still using enough energy to be able to use the calories from a small protein-filled snack. Have a hard-boiled egg or a wedge of laughing cow cheese or a piece of beef jerky, and don't feel guilty about it!
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    Who goes to bed to stop the late night snacking? Thats been my biggest battle so far.

The first couple weeks into the change in my eating habits I'd go to bed by like 10pm because i was so damn hungry. It lasted a few weeks. No I'm most hungry between like 1 and 6pm. Usually I eat dinner at 6 or 7 and am done for the day (or have a little snack later if I have calories left over).
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I snack sometimes at night but I don't keep anything in the house that will hinder my progress too much if I eat it. I might eat some low fat popcorn or some carrot sticks, celery and peanut butter or sometimes a low fat fudge bar.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Late night is hard for most of us.

If I eat dinner late and get to bed by 10 PM, I have much more success.

A diabetic told me our lowest point of insulin production is around 10PM regardless of what time you got up, so it makes sense that you would desire food.

I haven't researched whether this is true; but I like it because it helps me get to bed earlier. I'd stay up till 2 AM if it was my choice.
  • valldeperas5
    valldeperas5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My family are bunch of tv time snackers...it does NOT help my weight loss! However I have found that since I like to hang out with my family ....I need to save some of my snacks for tv time...otherwise I tend to get into things I don't need to eat.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Its not so much that I want to eat...its more WHAT I want to eat...cookies, chips etc. Ive already had my half a candy bar for the day so I need to eat healthy or not eat (at least thats my opinion)

Eat those cookies before bed, as long as you've hit your daily macros and keep that calorie deficit! That's the end result we're after. I personally have a candy bar and a packet of McCoys chips just before bed. I make sure i save myself the calories for them during the day, hit my other macros, log all the calories, keep that deficit, and I've never felt better!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I can't go to bed because nights are the only time I get to spend with my hubby. We usually turn in at 11pm, but my "snack time" is usually at 9pm.

I just make sure to allot some calories for the snack. It's all about calories in and out, so I don't worry about the time of day that I eat them, although I know some research is contradictory on this matter.

Shannon
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    To me it isn't hunger, it's that little voice in my ear saying "Wouldn't something sweet just be wonderful right now?" If I think about having something healthy instead, I won't want the snack anymore. I usually make myself a cup of really delicious tea, try Teavana's loseleaf teas, some teas aid in metabolism, some help you sleep, and some taste like chocolate. Or just let yourself be bad every once in a while. Get a 100 calorie pack of something sinful, or bake yourself something chocolatey but low cal (like something from Cook Yourself Thin).