Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you measure your abs or belly???

I always get confused whether i should suck my abs and belly inside my body..... or i should let everything loose n then measure it?????

Replies

• RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    I will be interested in seeing what others post!
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    I believe you should relax and measure on the exhale. That is what I have read about measuring.
  • Sucking things in isn't really going to give you an accurate measure of where you are currently. I just measure everything where it already is.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    What really matters is if you repeat the same protocol on each test. That way, whether you're sucking it in or not, it's if there's a change that should matter. Unless you're concerned about comparing yourself to a population.
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    I let everything loose. I do three different measurements as well:

upperwaist = half way between breast and belly button
    middle waist = right around the belly button
    lower waist = below the belly button

This is just me and what has worked in the past
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
    Apparently you are meant to breathe in and exhale twice then measure on the exhale. Consistency is the main thing, and making sure you have the tape measure at same level - I do the navel to be sure.
  • See this is wehre i have a problem too. some days im stronger and can REALLY suck it in. Other days im full of gas (ever since i started this diet i have had gas SOOO bad! oo and stiiiinky poop! OH GADS!!) and so my belly is way far out. Then some days i look pretty good. So what the hell? So i measure my thighs. They can't suck themselves in.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Take your measurement from the top of your hip bone and the bottom of your last rib bone, you should measure around the waist between them, exhale and relax. It should work out around your belly button. Hope that helps : )
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    what i have done from the start is measure around the belly at the belly button and my stomach is relaxed. i also measure at the smallest part of my body.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Suck that gut in and stick that chest out for proper posture.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    I always get confused whether i should suck my abs and belly inside my body..... or i should let everything loose n then measure it?????

No, because what you're trying to measure is 'natural' or 'relaxed'. Sucking everything in would be like trying on a shirt that fits.....as long you don't breathe or eat. A true 'fit' is based on where you are most of the time - which is relaxed.