Ouch Sore Muscles

Options
I finally went and did some weights. The good news is, my elbow tendonitis feels better instead of worse. The bad news is, I am pretty much couch bound today....owies! Besides a hot bath ( have that scheduled for later today) What do you do to relieve work out muscle pain?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I usually take a dose of Advil. It seems to take the edge off so I can get through the day. I only do this on days where I have trouble walking or standing though.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Movement helps, nothing strenuous but light movement. Also protein helps prevent soreness quite a bit (for me at least).
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stretching, lots of water & protein to heal & feed the muscle and pain meds!!!!!!!!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Up the protien intake! Before and after working out. It helps heal the muscle tissue quicker.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've read that fish oil can also help with inflammation and recovery after exercising. I've only recently started taking fish oil supplements, though, so thus far I can't speak from experience.
  • desirea2006
    desirea2006 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Work the muscle with light weights! Soreness is toxins in there... Let them out! Feels way better!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Go do another workout.
    Perhaps not as hard as your last? Or, if you worked on a specific muscle group go and do a workout for another. Perhaps do a little cardio workout?

Aside from any injury, I have found that the best way to get ride of regular workout soreness is to get moving with another workout. Once my heart rate is up and the blood is flowing, all the aches & pains go away.

To avoid any morning after racking or aches & pains. I have gotten in the habit of taking at least 10 minutes immediately after a strenuous workout to stretch. A few simple yoga stretches held for 4 - 5 deep breaths will help avoid any workout hangover the next day.

Hope this helps!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Moving helps. Light exercise if you are REALLY hurting. Go for a walk, do some arm circles, loosen up your muscles and then stretch! Don't do any lifting, your muscles need to recover. But movement and stretching will help. Make sure you're warmed up before you stretch.
  • yeroc39
    yeroc39 Posts: 55
    Options
    Get a foam roller. They are awesome, and very inexpensive. Its even better than stretching because you knead the muscle. The initial rolling might hurt when you are sore but it will losen up the areas that are hurting and help to repair quicker. And extra protein, especially within the first 60 minutes that you complete your workout.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If you want to help prevent DOMs, use BCAA powder. Sip it during and after the workout and it will help reduce DOMs. As others have said, protein (it has some BCAAs in it) and moving around the next couple of days can help.

Also, I recommend people easing into lifting weights if they are new to it. I would start with a light weight that you can do 15 times and do only 1 set the first time out. That way you can judge your fitness level the next day or two by the DOMs you get. If you are not sore the next day, do 2 sets next time with heavier weight and less reps.

It really doesn't do you a lot of good to go out and do 3-4 sets of squats the first time and not be able to walk for 3 days.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I really love this forum. So many things I wouldn't have thought of. I took a bath after a light walk and some tylenol and I feel great! Not to mention upping my protien for the day. I always up it on the days I do weights, and after....but this time I really upped it and got a few different sources. Feeling soooo much better! :D In a few days I'll be ready to do some more.
  • athleanguy
    Options
    to recover fast I found taking Branch chain amino acids during workout and before bed. Awesome recovery