Walking tips please!

Options
Hey Everyone!

I don't have a gym membership so my main source of exercise is walking around my neighborhood. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the most out of my walks? I have a 2 mile route that I usually do. Also, if you have any tips on how to avoid getting bored (as I tend to do) while on my walk, I gladly welcome them!

Thanks!

Replies

• PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Just walk and once you feel ready you can start jogging then you can start with HIIT. Alternating between sprinting and jogging between streetlights/lamp posts (whatever you call them in your country)...
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Speed intervals. You can do this at a walk without going to a jog if you are not a runner. Either Time or distance! It's like thigh fire
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Walk fast, swing your arms, vary your routes. I listen to music, changing the playlist every so often.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    No really answering your question here but have you tried workout DVDs? Way cheaper than a gym and a nice complement to walking :)

You could also try running? (I know I would if I lived in Hawaï and not in Rainland)
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    walk while using your arms to swing back and forward, i'm not sure if swing is the right word though :P, but it makes u work a bit harder and possibly find different routes or find a nice walking trail and drive to it if it's to far. Bush walks are nice :)
  • LillyMosley
    Options
    I do a lot of walking, make sure you have some hills in there, and doing some sprints etc, change it up! Good luck.:laugh:
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have also been walking as my main exercise and i found music to help but also on my phone i have an application called mytracks which uses GPS to record where i walk.

I upload the tracks to a website and it shows the maps where you walk and how far you go each time, average speed etc.

I work this into my carrot and stick motivation by setting a target for a distance to walk each month. If i do the target i treat myself somehow at the end, this is usually with a "forbidden food".
  • k80fox
    k80fox Posts: 92
    Options
    walk while using your arms to swing back and forward, i'm not sure if swing is the right word though :P, but it makes u work a bit harder and possibly find different routes or find a nice walking trail and drive to it if it's to far. Bush walks are nice :)

Hmm...never thought about swinging my arms. I'll give it a try!
  • k80fox
    Options
    No really answering your question here but have you tried workout DVDs? Way cheaper than a gym and a nice complement to walking :)

You could also try running? (I know I would if I lived in Hawaï and not in Rainland)

Yes, I have Turbo Jam actually and I love it but my place is small and I feel claustrophobic exercising inside :( But we're looking to find a bigger place at the end of the year so hopefully I'll get back into it :)

And running is definitely a goal of mine but I'm not quite there yet. One day :)
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking it's my main exercise but I don't get a lot of choice in the matter. I have three large dogs that demand a good walk everyday. It's very hilly around here as well. So it's up and down the hills, over the fields and through the woods. So my best tip get a dog. :flowerforyou:
  • k80fox
    Options
    Speed intervals. You can do this at a walk without going to a jog if you are not a runner. Either Time or distance! It's like thigh fire

I'm definitely NOT a runner but I want to be. This could be a good way to get started. Thanks!
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    Audiobooks to keep interested. I walk to and from work each day (2.5 miles each way) and audiobooks make it much less dull.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    audiobooks, music, learning a language?

also, try wrist or ankle weights, try alternating walking an "Nordic" or sprint walking every few minutes?
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I just walk til I am ready to step it up, tho I love my wii fit and my biggest loser dvds

One thing you can do which I am going to start doing again soon is my wrist and ankle weights while I walk :bigsmile:

maybe a Idea?
  • yevasdottir
    yevasdottir Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I sing as I go: they think I'm nuts, anyway, so singing just adds to the impression.

Also: I COUNT. If counting paces is good enough for Olympic runner Paula Radcliffe, it's good enough for me.
  • erichkettenacker
    Options
    There is walking and walking. As a senior I started with a normal walk at 3 miles an hour working up to 4 miles an hour now. I got a free walking tracker from the apple store. I put it in my pocket and after the walk it tells me the distance,steps and calories I used as well as I can play music with it. It motivates me mega and puts the spring back into my boddy :-) All thye bestto you and keep going.
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest tips is to get a pedometer, this allows you to see how many steps you are doing. So you can set yourself mini challenges: do 1000 more steps today than yesterday etc!

Also I find that when I'm wearing one, I try even harder to get as many steps in through the day as possible. They are pretty cheap to use and can be worn all day.

Hope that helps
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hills baby hills!!! Find some good hills around where you live and hit them bad boys as hard as you can. Cheap and effective excercise. Obviously, the steeper the hills, the better the challenge. Just be careful when you come back down them ;) Then once you can walk up them, run up them. Perhaps even walk back ward up them too. Possibilities are truly endless there. =)
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about posture! When you walk you should keep your back straight. Shoulders back. This engages your core. Swing those arms, girl!!!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There is walking and walking. As a senior I started with a normal walk at 3 miles an hour working up to 4 miles an hour now. I got a free walking tracker from the apple store. I put it in my pocket and after the walk it tells me the distance,steps and calories I used as well as I can play music with it. It motivates me mega and puts the spring back into my boddy :-) All thye bestto you and keep going.
    I got one of those. very good and free :happy: