Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Chinese food

HELP!!!

I have been put into a position were I have to go to a chinese all you can eat restaurant tonight - It is sooooo not my idea of good food but hey ho I'm going.

I havent been to one in over a year, since trying to eat well. SO I have no idea what is good to eat and what will be really bad in terms of calories and fat.

Please let me have your ideas...

Thank you....:drinker:

Replies

• MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    My hubby loves chinese so we have it quite often! I always have Foo Young, which is basically omelette (so just protein I guess) and any veggies that are there! There is also lots of chinese foods listed on here so you can still get at least a rough idea of the calories you have consumed - good luck!
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Avoid anything deep fried, in batter and sweet and sour sauce.
    Things like back bean sauce and stuff in gravy would be better.

Or

Have what you want but not so much of it. A little of what you fancy does you good :smile: Have a good time :smile:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I think if you stay away from fried stuff and eat lots of veggies, you'll be okay. Drink lots of water, though, because Chinese food has a lot of sodium from the soy sauce they use.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 430 Member
    Start with soup to fill up your belly & stay away from anything fried (egg rolls, noodles, sweet & sour whatever). Then drink LOTS of water to flush out the extra salt from your body!

Good luck & have fun!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Try a relatively calorie light chicken and veggie stir fry type option or even better a prawn stir fry. Be careful not to have too much rice with it (and opt for boiled if you can). Good luck and stay strong!!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    I think its important to enjoy life so go , have a little of anything you fancy and have fun (btw try not to drink alcohol - that is just dead calories)
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    basically stay away from anything fried and drowning in sauce. Ive seen some chinese buffets with sushi bars. Sushi is good! = )
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    I will just second the huge quantities of water. Having had a chinese meal last night, and i was careful to avoid all the deep fried stuff, i am 3lbs heavier today and i feel very sluggish.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Most chinese resturants these days have a salad and soup bar... at least they do here... fill up on these before hitting the main courses.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    The Schezwan Chicken is really low cal and really good! Also the broccoli chicken. GOOD LUCK! We're all in these situations at one point or another so we have to be strong and do the best we can, stay strong!
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Most people have said what I will say, so nothing fried, and I usually get beef and broccoli which is really good (and not fried)!
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Stir fry veg is good for you and low in calories. Definitely the best way to prepare vegetables. I eat Chinese all the time, if you are in a restaurant make certain to ensure that they do not use MSG (yuk donno why anyone things that makes food taste better)
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    See if the restaurant can give you some of the dishes without sauce (get it on the side). That way you can control calories and sodium.
  • cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    General Tso's chicken is good try it with a little rice and lots of veggies and water
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    There's usually a soup option... just take a little bit of all the plainest / veggie stuff and keep going up for drinks, I always over eat when i go to those places... keep getting up for diet soda and noone will notice and you'll be less likely to overeat! :)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    It's really pretty easy, but you would have to realize that you are not necessarily going to fall in love with your food tonight... You can order steamed vegetables with tofu and ask for the sauce on the side. You can go back to enjoying your food tomorrow. :wink:
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    So many of restaurants offer brown rice as an option. Then try and find something with a lean meat not fried and a lot of veg.