Feta Cheese

Options
I love feta in my tossed salad, but the calories and fat are more than I should have. Does anyone have any good (and tasty) alternatives?

Replies

• kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the reduced fat Feta.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatfreevegan.com/dressings/feta.shtml

I make this all the time and not only is it super delicious, but it honestly tastes JUST like feta!
  • kakelly1974
    kakelly1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Although they make lower fat versions of feta, I prefer the original. It's a pretty flavorful cheese. Perhaps use less?
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I always have feta cheese with tomatoes and love it (I dont have anything else with it so doesnt come to that many calories for lunch). I often put tuna or prawns or chicken in salad too. x
  • Fit_Britt
    Fit_Britt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Athenos reduced fat feta! They make fat free too but that doesn't taste very good and it is heavily processed.

I sometimes use Parmesan cheese instead of feta in my Mediterranean style salads.

Hope that helps :)
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Feta is really not that bad...I think it is 90 calories for a 1/4 cup? I make a delicious salad using spring greens, feta cheese, craisans, and grilled chicken with raspberry vinegerette dressing that is not very high in calories.

There is a "low-fat" version of feta that is fewer calories but I think if you are looking for cheese Feta will give you the most "bang for your buck" so to speak. You don't need very much and you get an intense flavor with it.

Good luck!!
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Also keep an eye on the sodium
  • cindymandel
    Options
    voluptuous_veggie:
    This looks fabulous! Do you know the nutritional information for it? Thanks so much!:smile:
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatfreevegan.com/dressings/feta.shtml

I make this all the time and not only is it super delicious, but it honestly tastes JUST like feta!

fat free vegan is a great site. Have had a few things from there I have really liked, but never this one. Going to try making this one, looks pretty simple, delicious, and healthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think feta has that many calories if you consider a portion is basically 50 calories and more than enough for any single salad. Dieting isn't about reduced calorie options, it's about managing your calories in a way that you feel satisfied with the food your eating with no feelings of guilt. Generally speaking when someone say's one ingredient puts them over their calorie limit I suspect there's something else going on and misinformation and dogma is generally the reason.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, for those 90 or so calories per ounce there's also 6g of protein. That's really good for just an ounce!