Calories while pregnant?

Options
Hello! I havent been on this site for months!! I lost 35 pounds between Jan and August and then in September, found out I was pregnant! So happy to be having a baby but not so happy to realise that I'm starting to put on all the weight I lost. I seem to have lost all control as though being pregnant is an excuse to eat everything under the sun! So far, I've gained back about 10 pounds in the first 12 weeks and I know that it's mainly because of all the junk I'm eating!

I feel so out of control and while I know that I can't diet and lose weight, I think it might be good to go back to monitoring my calorie intake to make sure I dont completely spiral out of control.

So...... does anyone have any thoughts on a sensible intake? Before I was pregnant, my maintenance calories were 1750 so I'm thinking maybe 2000?

Love to hear any suggestions!

S x

Replies

• lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor.
  • becksfoster
    Options
    Definitely speak to your doctor/ health visitor. I dont think its too good to calorie count while pregnant, just eat healthy as and whenever you feel like it. Im not too sure but i think as your pregnancy progresses you are supposed to eat more to accomidate your babys needs, but yeah im no expert ^_^ so definitley get medical adivce.

Wouldnt worry yourself about putting weight on though, its an inevitable and healthy thing while pregnant. Best of luck ^_^
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    I seem to remember reading that you really only need about 500 extra calories a day while pregnant, but I would still check with your doctor.
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i read 300 extra calories is sufficient. but i'm curious too. we're going to start trying next month and i'm intaking about 1300 calories. i have a feeling 1600 cals wouldn't be enough.... we'll see! let us know if you find out!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Ask to see a Nutritionist throughout your pregnancy.
    I had to see one because I had Gestational Diabetes but today, 2-weeks after delivery I weigh less than I did before getting pregnant. The nutritionist has been an invaluable tool at managing my food/calories.

Congratulations!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's a great preggo thread here on the boards - search for it and you'll find other women who are pregnant and committed to staying fit through all 9 months and beyond. :)

As for calories, as others have said, I'd definitely ask your doctor, but one thing you could do here is change your goal settings to make sure they aren't set to lose weight. I read somewhere that women should add something like 350 calories to their daily intake during the 2nd trimester, and 450 in the 3rd, but don't quote me on that - I'm no doctor! But changing your settings to either maintain your current weight or to gain a 1/2 lb a week might be helpful in tracking your daily foods & goals.

Good luck and congrats!
  • AlanaJagoe
    AlanaJagoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding 300 calories to your pre-pregnancy calorie intake. I am currently 4 months pregnant and have gained about 10lbs so far. My Dr. Says he is happy with the rate of my weight gain. I am not currently tracking calories and eat whenever I'm hungry but I would like to start counting calories so I don't get out of control. Good luck!