C25K Starting October 15

Options
Hey I'm currently working on Week 3 of C25K but I've been doing it solo. So I was going to start all over again Starting Oct 15. Is there anyone willing to try out C25K with me?

In case you don't know what C25K is it's a training program to go from a couch potato to running a 5K in 9 weeks.
the website is here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
I'm using the treadmill version found here: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

Let me know if you're interested and This could be a fun and challenging 9 weeks as a group.

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I started a mini week this week (yesterday was Day 2) 30 seconds running/2 minutes walking and plan on starting the first full week Monday!
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the book, but I also am doing it solo. There fore pretty scared to even try it....I am game! would love to run a 5K been dreaming about for about six years now, guess its time to get off my butt eh? :happy:
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am starting it up again on Monday. Love this program. Been out of it for a while but will glad run "with you"!
  • krlong6
    krlong6 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think I can definitely swing this! I'd love to join a motivating group!
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    I would like to join!! I have done C25K Wk 1 Day 1. 3 times. But it was so sporadic I didnt feel like I had earned Day 2. I will do Week 1 Day 1 (again) for the last time this Sunday 1/16 (cant do it Sat). I love being part of a group like this - it really motivates me!
  • BrandiA
    BrandiA Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm in =)
  • obstacleone
    Options
    I would like to join!! I have done C25K Wk 1 Day 1. 3 times. But it was so sporadic I didnt feel like I had earned Day 2. I will do Week 1 Day 1 (again) for the last time this Sunday 1/16 (cant do it Sat). I love being part of a group like this - it really motivates me!

I did wk 3 day 1 this morning. I could do it, I was labouring, but I did it.. But I've been doing it alone.. Much rather start over and get a great support group together. So let's do this all together!
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I've had a look at the treadmill version and scared myself - I've NEVER been a runner - but I'll give it a go!

I can think of a dozen reasons not to do it but they're just excuses - I've spent most of my adult life sitting on my butt and that's why it's the the size it is!
  • obstacleone
    Options
    the treadmill isn't too bad.
    I do 2.5mph for a walk and 5mph for the run part.
    If you can't handle those speeds I'd suggest 2.0 MPH and 4MPH
    Don't forget you just got to get through 1 minute of running and you get to cool down and gear up for the next minute..
    It can be challenging but focus on it one minute at a time.
  • lazyspice
    Options
    the treadmill isn't too bad.
    I do 2.5mph for a walk and 5mph for the run part.
    If you can't handle those speeds I'd suggest 2.0 MPH and 4MPH
    Don't forget you just got to get through 1 minute of running and you get to cool down and gear up for the next minute..
    It can be challenging but focus on it one minute at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions th_thumbsup.gif At the moment I start on 2.5 mph and work up to about 3.6 mph - I usually do about an hour in total - so I'll probably start off at 2.5 and 4-4.5. I'll give it a trial run (no pun intended!) this evening and see how I get on :wink:
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    I'm in! I tried to start this once and I got off track! A group for support would be great!!!
  • karencymru
    karencymru Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in too please, started week 1 and stayed on it for 2 weeks! Need some motivation to get back to it, finding convenient time is issue, maybe get up even earlier but it's sooo dark :-(
  • RockyController
    Options
    Count me in. I keep starting it but never seem to stick to it and always blame my schedule. Not sure if I will start on the 15 or 17th yet.
  • lazyspice
    Options
    OMG! I did it! I just did Week 1 Day 1 of C25K on the treadmill! th_woohoo.gif

I wasn't sure I could do this without needing a first aider on standby but it was easier than I thought it would be!

I did a 10 minute warm up instead of 5 to be on the safe side (2.5 to 3mph), then the 8 x 2.5 minute run/walk reps (4mph and 3mph), then carried on to complete 2 miles (3mph) - the timing wasn't great at 38:01, as I can actually walk it faster but I can work on that.

I am so chuffed with myself, I've texted everyone I know! th_happydance.gif

Good luck everyone!
  • obstacleone
    Options
    Congrats Lazyspice for completing Wk1 Day1. It's hard to get through that mental hurdle of actually running.
    Hopefully on day 2 you feel more at ease with the training.

Also itsbigjoesgal completed Wk1 Day1 as well. Congrats to you. They recommend not pushing your body if you think you can do more, don't. It's the best way to avoid injury. I know it can be hard to not do more. But At least you know what your body can handle, and it can handle a lot.

Everyone starting this with us, Good luck on your first day on wk1. I'll be posting status updates about this too and I'm pretty sure I've added all of you to my friends list.. So I will update there as much as possible pertaining to this.
  • obstacleone
    Options
    Okay so I just finished my week 1 day 1.
    I know in my last post I told everyone to follow the guide lines that are written out for the program. But since I was on week 3 before I restarted c25k I am more aware of what my body can handle. I did the speeds at 2.7 and 5.2 and the last 10 minutes I was running a minute walking a minute up until I hit the 2 mile mark at 32:12.

I don't recommend this you should follow the guide lines to ensure your body adapts to the stress you are putting it through and you don't hurt yourself.

Do it at the pace you are able to do it at but just do it.
    Ensure you get all 8 minutes of the run in within that 30 minute period.
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    I just did Wk1 D1 (again) for the last time. I run outside and use the free RunDouble app on my android. I can listen to my music (Pandora - 80's cardio) and run the RunDouble app at the same time. It gives you verbal cues when to walk, when to run, and your interval times. It also tells you when you are half way so you can turn around and go back!! And it gives you a little report at the end. Today I went 2.02 miles in 28:30 mins including my warm up and cool down. I went 1.44 miles in 18:30 mins just during the run/walk portion. That is slightly demoralizing for me cause the first time I EVER did this (back in July) I had better times. But at least I did it! Week 1 Day 2 on Tuesday!

Great job everyone on your runs!!
  • lazyspice
    Options
    Day 2 tomorrow - I'm looking forward to it!
  • obstacleone
    Options
    me too!

I've been working on incline miles today as well.. I do 2 sessions of 2 miles of walk/run and 2 sessions of 1 mile incline.
  • michelca
    Options
    I'm in. I started Week 3 Day 1 last week, but didn't get farther than that. I'm starting it again tomorrow, and this time am determined to make it through.