Side Dish Ideas

Options
I use a lot of hungry girl and other low calorie recipes.. but most of those are main meal items. Do u guys have any low calorie ideas for dinner?? Just wanting to try something other than salad and veggies. Thanks !!

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of great recipes also, and you can browse by type, so you can look for Side Dishes.

I personally haven't made this yet, but my friend did and said it was awesome. It's the Skinny Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese.
  • aprilbrown12
    aprilbrown12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make up a small pan of brown rice ($.069 per bag), spray & toss it with butter flavor or olive oil pam. Then through the week I mix a 1/2 cup serving with salsa, beans or fat free ranch dressing. It's easy, whole grain & inexpensive!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    with colder weather coming up i would suggest soups
  • sarah829522
    Options
    I like cooking light magazine - they do a lot of traditional favorites but make them lighter...Mac n cheese, Broccoli Gratain, Baked Ziti, etc.

Last night I made cauliflower "potatoes" as the side. I know it's still a veggie but it felt like a starch.
  • Ambershea
    Ambershea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Favorite side dish ever is Spaghetti sqash, great replacement for pasta. You can just use it as noodles and add your favorite sauce. Wait to add the sauce til when you are ready to eat because it can make it a little mushy. I also like Mashed "fake" potatoes made with Cauliflower. Im on the Paleo Diet so I can't have any carbs and these two sides have saved my life! If you haven't tried either of these they probably sound disgusting but they are so good! I was really surprised... another great side/snack is baked Kale chips
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com, eatingwell.com are to sites that I use all the time.
  • bcopeland2005
    bcopeland2005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i just came across a recipe on hungry girl yesterday for the spaghetti squash instead of noodles.. and i thought that was interesting and now that u said it's good i think i will actually try it out!! can't wait and thanks so much for your help!! =)