can't get motivated!

Options
The weather is beautiful but I just can't get motivated to start walking again! I was doing great, walking up to 4 miles a day and then the heat was so bad I stopped. Now I find every excuse or take on every project to justify not getting started. "I can't start today because I'm too busy to keep it up this week, maybe next week....." and on and on. I know I need to just do it as everyone says. It's Friday - maybe tomorrow morning? Yea - but it's Saturday morning! Oh well...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    The weather is beautiful but I just can't get motivated to start walking again! I was doing great, walking up to 4 miles a day and then the heat was so bad I stopped. Now I find every excuse or take on every project to justify not getting started. "I can't start today because I'm too busy to keep it up this week, maybe next week....." and on and on. I know I need to just do it as everyone says. It's Friday - maybe tomorrow morning? Yea - but it's Saturday morning! Oh well...
    Then you need to quit thinking about doing it and just do it. Go out the door and just start walking.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Then you need to quit thinking about doing it and just do it. Go out the door and just start walking.

this. instead of writing get your butt out the door!
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean at all, but tell your head to hush up and that body to move....if you want this you have to make the steps to get it. In a few months instead of setting there thinking why you can't you will be thinking DANG I look good.(smile)
    Just push
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to get back on when you stop something but you must do it. Whatever your doing now stop doing it and get up and go walk. If you only get a 1/2 mile or a couple blocks it is a start to get you back in that groove again. You might be feeling overwhelmed thinking of starting again and doing a 4 mile walk right away so start small and keep adding a little each day until you are back at the 4 miles. Excuses get us nowhere fast so stand up and get moving my friend! :happy:
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The more days that pass that you keep putting it off, the harder it will be to do it. Don't let lethargy happen to you. The great potential of mind is stronger than procrastination... you just have to target it in the right direction!
  • Debbiehalb
    Debbiehalb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am a walker and stopped because of the heat. I am going to start tomorrow, no wait I have to go somewhere in the morning and I know I have to get dinner done in the evening, I have to get my hair cut in the afternoon, so on and so on. I just don't make time for it and the weight just sits there. SO I am and I will start this weekend. You can too. So let's walk together this weekend even if it' s just 1/2 mile it is better than not and I bet if we do a little we will do more and more the next day. I will see you back on this site and we can compare our walk. What you say?
    Let's JUST DO IT!!
  • gailfroglog
    Options
    focus on that feeling you get when you know you've done good for your body. Today is rainy and cold and I totally don't want to go run 5 miles--but what I am thinking is how nice I will feel afterwards and (for some negative reinforcement) how much I will hate myself and become even MORE unmotivated if I don't go!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    What I do if I'm feeling in the slumps and not wanting to exercise is look at motivational pictures of athletes who inspire.

Generally this photo of Hope Solo is enough to do the trick of getting me off my dead *kitten*.

600full-hope-solo.jpg
  • gailfroglog
    Options
    Also, one way to use MFP to motivate is to go ahead and put in what you did for exercise. Once you've done that you'll feel committed and obligated to get at least that much done for the day.