Losing Momentum *sigh*

Options
Ok,
So I am losing momentum...and I am going to whine about it.......

I didn't lose any weight this past week (and I didn't gain) which is good - I thought I had mentally prepared for it to be a bad week due to Thanksgiving (Canada); I gave myself permission to enjoy some things and I made an effort to exercise more and counteract the excess foods I ate, and I also said no to a lot of foods I shouldn't eat......small nsv I guess. I am beginnning to think that quitting crappy food should be treated like quitting smoking - never touch another one because if you do, you will be right back smoking
The problem is that I didn't mentally prepare well enough, or maybe I really didn't think it through well enough.... because I feel like an *kitten* and a failure for even allowing myself to do that last week, and now am really struggling to keep at this weight loss venture.

I am so frustrated and I am almost to the point of "why bother trying", but I KNOW I need to do this for my baby girl and our future.

To make matters worse, my husband's metabolism is so intense, he can eat anything, he drinks and smokes and is the complete opposite of all the healthy changes I am trying to make for our future, and he figures since it's Friday we should go out to eat...which is a nice jesture, but I really don't want to go out to eat and blow my calorie budget.....and who really wants to buy a salad (comprised of mostly lettuce and not many veg) for an exorbiant price and sit and watch others eat without a concern for nutrition or calories and go home hungry? That's not a treat in my opinion, its more like torture!

I don't feel like he is listening to me, I keep telling him I am working at losing weight, and I want to get more exercise, be an active family so our daughter grows up with healthy habits and blah blah blah, but he keeps sitting and watch tv or says yes or ok and then doesn't follow though with participating in anything that would help me get healthier and set an example for our girl.
A non enthusiastic "Good job Chick" doesn't cut it....I want a partner that will participate too - its tough feeling like you are alone!

I really just needed to vent, and I really wish I had never allowed my self to become overweight (obese according to the BMI) in the first place! I used to be in amazing shape, ran, lifted weights, did karate 6 days a week and taught on the 7th. I had muscles everywhere...not anymore.....
I'm ashamed of my self and really ANGRY, and I am trying to get over it and move on, but damn it, somedays you just don't want to fight for EVERY ASPECT of daily life! At some point things should smooth out right?!

Sorry for the rant, but I REALLY need a boost.......I really need to keep at this, and I really need to live for today, not yesterday or tomorrow.......

PS: I have started running again, and I have been going to a boxing club for the past 3 weeks - I'm TRYING!!!! I guess one of the flaws of our generation is that we want things instantly

Replies

• tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I lost momentum for a few days after this past weekend for no real reason...but you know what, I am not going to let myself down and this is not hard. That is what I keep telling myself that and "to thine own self be true" so to my health, I must remain true as only I can do that. This makes you a stronger person as well. Feel free to friend me for more motivation and support. You can do this...we all can.
  • SkinnyRachel
    Options
    Hang in there!! Stay focused on your goal (losing weight/raising your daughter in a healthy lifestyle) and don't be discouraged by those around you. Just keep thinking about that baby girl and the kind of life you want for her. You can do it!!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    A story like yours demonstrates why it's important to be HERE, with like minded people. For various reasons many of us are doing it 'alone'; non-supportive spouses, family that's not on the same boat, or in my case, a lack of interested friends. If it weren't for the support and understanding that I find here, I would TRULY feel alone in this.

I admit that your case presents difficulties that I don't have to face. I don't have to see someone eating what they want when I go home. Unless of course, you count the cats. :wink:

Seriously though, remember why you're doing this - you're doing it for you - and there are lots and lots of people here in the same boat as you - you are definitely not alone. Find like minded people here to inspire you and help to slay the demon that is non-motivation.

Good luck!
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know it can be hard when you don't have a partner to help/support you. Just keep pushing! You can do this, I gained a little over Thanksgiving as well... just keep going! don't give up! You have done amazing so far! Remember what everyone says, you don't put it on overnight, so you can't expect to lose it over night.

We are all here to support you! Keep at it!

Add me if you want another friend!

:flowerforyou:
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin up. And don't beat yourself up for allowing yourself some treats. Rather than feeling bad that you've let things slip concentrate on how good you know it will feel to get back to where you want to be, and maybe each time you feel down just try to bring that feeling forward instead. With any luck it will make you feel happier in yourself and then staying healthy will come easily if you used to do it before.
    I managed to lose all of my weight once and then put it all back on again. Beat myself up about it for ages but being down about it didn't shift it. I'm still just taking each day as it comes but there are so many supportive people on here that I'm slowly starting to feel like I can do this (again!),

(My boyfriend eats what he likes and doesn't get it either. Comments like 'I'm still attracted to you' don't make it ok!! Lol.)

Hope things get easier for you :smile:
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need a round of applause for making it through a holiday without gaining any weight! :drinker: It stinks getting into the slump you're in. I know what you mean about not getting support. My husband rolls his eyes when we're out for dinner and I'm taking so long to decide what I should eat and then I'm depressed when we get home because it always puts me over my limit.
    I hope you find the strength to stick it out. It will be so worth it for your daughter and you! Good luck.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    rant away girl we all need it...and as far as going out to eat you can probably get grilled chicken with broccoli and a baked potato and its probably a better choice than a salad. hang in there you can do it!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    This happens to me periodically and all I can do is try again fresh every day until I am back in the game. DON'T EVER STOP TRYING.
  • foodie2fit
    Options
    It's ok to lose momentum every once in awhile. It didn't take over night to gain whatever weight your trying to lose, and it defiantly won't take over night to lose it.

Life gets in the way and it's so frustrating! But the great thing is is that every day is a chance to start fresh and new!

I work very long hours and I have to plan and write down every little thing. But I also have a roommate who, like your husband, can do pretty much whatever and not work out for a long time and he's in great shape! (Don't you just wanna slap them! haha) Hes forever like "Let's be bad today and eat this!" or "It's Friday! It's cheat day!" Grrr!

Do you allow yourself a cheat day, speaking of? Because as long as you eat good 80% of the time, you should allow yourself that 20% of yummy treats ^.^

Anywho, just know you're not alone and keep up the great work!
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. You go ahead and rant - get it off your chest. Then take a deep breath and remember this is not a short term diet thing you are doing. This is a healthy lifestyle journey for yourself and for your daughter. You can't change your husband. Unfortunately we don't think about these things when choosing a mate so we have to move on from where we are. Ask your husband to join you but don't nag just go do it yourself and if possible take your daughter. Change yourself. Change the way you look at food. It is energy for your engine. Yes it should taste good and be enjoyable but it should be good for you too. Don't deprive yourself. Stop focusing on the scale. Focus on the healthy lifestyle journey and the weight will come off. If you focus on the scale you will set yourself up for frustration and failure. Just like you have this time. I have done this for over 25 years and it has taken me this long to finally figure out that the scale is not my enemy nor my friend. It just keeps me from losing complete control. I don't pay attention to the weekly numbers but the monthly totals. Instead I focus on making the healthy choices and aim for an approximate loss of 1lb a week more or less. If I don't lose that I don't worry about it because I know that thanks to this site I am recording all my food and doing my exercise so sometimes the weight loss just won't show but instead I focus on other tangible goals I have set for myself like walking 4 miles or climbing a flight of stairs....etc. These goals show me more than a scale than I am make progress in being healthy. You can do this just make yourself a list of things to achieve that have nothing to do with the scale. Work to achieve those instead and it will help with the momentum.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to you with the frustration, I have been fighting momentum for a while now and am still trying to get it all figured out. I know I will never have all the answers but when you're trying so hard and not getting the results you think you should be it can be very dis-heartening. Especially without emotional and physical support from your partner. Try to remember that venting is healthy and you have the support of us here on MFP. Your daughter will be proud of you for showing her how important it is to work hard and stay focused to achieve a goal, while accepting that nothing runs perfectly smooth. She is blessed to have a wonderful mother like you for a role model. Keep it up!
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: HI , LOSING YOUR MO JO IS PART OF WHAT HAPPENS ON A LONG JOURNEY, AND TRUST ME LOSING POUNDS THAT WERE GAINED FOR A LONG TIME IS GOING TO TAKE A LONG TIME TO LOSE THEM IN A HEALTHY MANNER. I HAVE BEEN THERE WITH THE FRUSTRATION, AND DISAPPOINTMENT. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE DOING GOOD, 18 LBS IS NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT. FIRST DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP, TAKE A DEEP BREATHE TAKE A BREAK AND RE GROUP YOUR GOALS...FIRST YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR YOURSELF..I DON'T KNOW YOUR HUSBAND BUT YOU MAY NEED TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH HIM ABOUT RESPECTING WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO FOR NOT ONLY YOURSELF, BUT YOUR FAMILY. AGAIN THAT IS PERSONAL. :glasses: BUT AFTER YOU RE SET YOUR GOALS START LOOKING FOR WAYS TO WORKOUT THAT ARE FUN, LIKE Wii SPORTS, WALKING, STATIONARY BIKE THERE ARE COUNTLESS OF DVDS THAT HELP YOU WORK OUT AT HOME I'M SURE YOU CAN FIND SOME THAT MEET YOUR NEEDS.. I USE LESLIE SANSONE WALK AT HOME DVDS SHE HAS A BUNCH..WELL I HOPE I HAVE HELPED, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME TO YOU FRIEND LIST YOU ARE WELCOMED TOO..GOOD LUCK BE STRONG, ..PEACE ISSY:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Stick to your guns and focus on how amazing every day of healthy living makes you feel!