vitamins and supplements

Options
for those of you who take them, which ones and why? im am thinking of starting to take creatine and a BCAA. thanks for the info.

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, fish oil, flaxseed oil, vitamin c, niacin, and an excellent probiotic.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, because I noticed some days I wasn't getting enough calcium, some days not enough vitamin C, some days not enough iron. The multivitamin insures that when the best I can isn't good enough, I still get the vitamins I need. (Except potassium. I have to be vigilant with the potassium, since multivitamins don't contain a lot. )
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take Multi-vitamin (with green tea in it), calcium (1200mgs is suppose to reduce cramping with TOM), fish oil, vitamin C, zinc (currently have a bit of a cold), iron (anemic), cranberry extract (bad kidneys run in the family and calcium makes kidney stones-- gotta counteract it), and Rhodesia (mood enhancer-- can't take St. John's when you are on the pill).

Anywho, I MUST take them with a BIG meal of I feel really sick. Sometimes my dinner isn't enough. Anyone else feel sick from their vitamins?

I'm planning on dropping some so I don't feel sick. Thoughts?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin as suggested by my doctor, Vitamin D as prescribed by my doctor because I have a severe deficiency. Partly because of five years on a night shift schedule and partly because I have another prescription that leaches Vitamin D from my system. And then I take fish oil on my own because I don't like seafood and I hardly get any Omega-3s the old -fashioned way because of it.
  • skinnyjeans1224
    skinnyjeans1224 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my multivtiimin, digestive enzymes and probiotics are in my shakeology I drink daily. . I also take Vit D, fish oil Omega 3, Bioadrenal (dr. prescribed for adrenal fatigue syndrome), biotin for hair and nails, Iodine (Dr. prescribed), African Mango, BCAA, B12 drops and that's about it.

Looking to maybe add some items from the eat right for blood type diet.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I take a multi and a fish oil supplelment.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin, just to cover the bases (I have to take a flintstones chewable though, because every other adult multivitamin I've tried makes me sick to my stomach). Vitamin D, because I have a deficiency. B vitamin complex for energy and a tiny cholesterol lowering boost. Flaxseed oil for omega-3s (thinking of switching to fish oil though, I've heard it's better). Green tea extract for antioxidants and a tiny cholesterol lowering boost.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin, just to cover the bases (I have to take a flintstones chewable though, because every other adult multivitamin I've tried makes me sick to my stomach). Vitamin D, because I have a deficiency. B vitamin complex for energy and a tiny cholesterol lowering boost. Flaxseed oil for omega-3s (thinking of switching to fish oil though, I've heard it's better). Green tea extract for antioxidants and a tiny cholesterol lowering boost.

How many of the Flintstone's do you take? 2? I may switch over because I'm tired of feeling sick after I take my vitamin.
  • Bella7810
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, a liquid whole food concentrate, take a One-A-Day women's multi, an acidiphylis probiotic, magnesium, potassium and calcium. My diary is open so you can look. I was doing creatine but it has a lot of added sodium so I've backed off on that. I do take 1tbl of liquid caritine every morning on an empty stomach though.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Vitamins - GNC Ultra Mega Woman's Active
    Proteins - BSN Synth-6, ON Oats & Whey which I'll be changing to GNC Lean when I'm finished
    Recovery - Accelerade
    Thermogenic - BSN Atro-Phex

Diary is public
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I take Multi-vitamin (with green tea in it), calcium (1200mgs is suppose to reduce cramping with TOM), fish oil, vitamin C, zinc (currently have a bit of a cold), iron (anemic), cranberry extract (bad kidneys run in the family and calcium makes kidney stones-- gotta counteract it), and Rhodesia (mood enhancer-- can't take St. John's when you are on the pill).

Anywho, I MUST take them with a BIG meal of I feel really sick. Sometimes my dinner isn't enough. Anyone else feel sick from their vitamins?

I'm planning on dropping some so I don't feel sick. Thoughts?

Yeah On an empty stomach mine make me feel ill too. Even throw it back up. But I usually take mine after dinner and don't have a problem. Check and see what vitamins you are low on in the food reports. Maybe its just one or 2, maybe it will be easier on your stomach IF you just take those ones, opposed to feeling sick on the multivitamin.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I take:

A multivitmin to fill in holes in my nutrition
    Creatine monohydrate because it helps my recovery and decreases DOMS
    Fish Oil Helps my skin a bit.
    Joint support - self explanatory
    Whey Protein- to make sure i hit my protein goals daily.
    Preworkout supp- I like the extra energy before the gym.

I'll take BCAAs if I get them for free from companies. But I'd never waste money on them. Not enough of a noticeable difference to justify the cost.
    Also don't waste money on glutamine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, a liquid whole food concentrate, take a One-A-Day women's multi, an acidiphylis probiotic, magnesium, potassium and calcium. My diary is open so you can look. I was doing creatine but it has a lot of added sodium so I've backed off on that. I do take 1tbl of liquid caritine every morning on an empty stomach though.

plain creatine mono shouldn't have enough sodium to really hurt anything.

if you skip out on shakeology, you could take whey protein and wheat grass, save a ton of money, and get the same benefits. it's a huge ripoff.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

How many of the Flintstone's do you take? 2? I may switch over because I'm tired of feeling sick after I take my vitamin.

Nope, just 1 - the label says "% daily value for adults and children 4 years of age and older (1 tablet)." One tablet has 18mg of iron so you don't want to be doubling that.