Down 148 lbs since Oct 1 2010 without weightloss surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My apologies for insulting anyone with my response, but in my research (I work in the Health industry now), and speaking with Doctors of both Western Medicine and Holistic approaches, it seems that 8 out of 10 people use bariatric surgery as a "quick fix" to solve their problems. Why do you think the whole "diet craze - fad pill (think Alie)" is a billion dollar a year market? So many times people want to blame society on their misfortune for being overweight or obese. It is all a matter of what you put in your mouth and owning up to the responsibilities. I witnessed a 200 lb 12-year old in the waiting room on Monday morning going to the doctors office for a sick visit. 200 lbs.. at 12 years old. Baffling! There is nothing wrong with the child other than he eats horrible processed foods, sits in front of the tv and his parents enable this. It's very sad that the obese epidemic is reaching children as young as 2 years old! This is sad and horrible for our country, our kids. They need to be led by example and they are not. I can understand that people may need this surgery as a life saving effort, but many use it as something other than it's intended means. Anyone who knows me in real life knows how much I personally struggled with weight since the age of 4 and know that I am a huge motivator. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. I didn't mean mine to offend, but just know my stance is just as important as yours.

Thank you for respecting.
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!! keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    You are awesome!! Congrats on your weight loss & keep up the great work!! :happy:
  • benzgirl1
    Options
    Hello Jennifer! You can upload them from your computer at home. If you have the MFP app on your smartphone, you can download them from there. I hope I was helpful! Wish u weight-loss success!:smile:
  • benzgirl1
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!!!!
  • DafphineSpencer
    Options
    first of all, to jennifer, i congratulate your loss, i should have said that in my first response. Losing weight is a victory no matter how we do it. now, to dixie...if i have it right, you have not ever had bariatric surgery and you only have the word of others to go on. i can only speak about lab band, since it is the procedure i had done. the band is a tool...there is no quick fix about it. i have dieted since i was a young child. my weight went up and down...up some more...down a little. I had dieted so much that my metabolism was shot. on top of that, i have hypothyroidism. on top of that, i have 7 herniations in my back. the last one was my final reason for chosing bariatric surgery...in an attempt to avoid back sugery. i started my process last october. i went through 6 months of diet counseling with my pcp. she would be the first to tell you that she was not telling me anything i did not know since i had become a "diet" expert. i then had to complete preop testing....sleep study, psych eval, intravenous doppler testing, pulmonary function test, ekg, heart echo, arterial blood draw, blood work. after all of that, i then had to attend a class on how to properly use the band as a TOOL. in may, i finally made it to surgery. now, i'm not saying that there are people that use the band, or any bariatric surgery, in the wrong way and those are the people who fail. your statements are stereotypes though. they make it sound like everyone who chooses bariatric sugery is wrong or just being lazy when that is far from the case. after the surgery is when the real work begins....physically and mentally. i could sit here all day and eat ice cream and potato chips. those foods would go right through my band and cause me no problems other than more weight gain. that is not what i do though. i have to focus on a high protein diet. i have to measure my foods. i have to concentrate on chewing every bite and make sure it is pretty much liquified before i swallow. i have to realize that a food i ate yesterday may not agree with my band today and i could "slime" at any time in front of people. i am not allowed to drink while i eat, no matter how spicey my food is. i must give up sodas for the rest of my life. my "change of life", i now refuse to call it a diet, will be monitored by both my doctor and surgeon for the rest of my life. in other words, i am committed and it has been in no way easy. i have struggled for every pound i have lost and my scale goes up and down just like anyone else's. when i follow the rules, i lose....when i revert back to being an emotional eater, i gain. when i exercise, i lose...when i don't, i struggle. the only difference is i have a tool that tells my mind i'm full on less food...proper food. each person has to choose their own way and there is no wrong answer when it works. if you are dedicated, the band works....if you aren't, it won't. there is always a chance of complications, but they are much better than dying from obesity related diseases or being confined in pain unable to play with my children. my band saved my life and thank God for that!!!!
  • bliss78
    bliss78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Amazing you have the right attitude & impressive dedication you should be so proud! I hope to be looking at 148 down in a year, keep up the good work. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, you are an inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!