If you know your body fat...

Options
Do you know your body fat? I have a caliper (not electronic - so I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm going with it...)

Currently I weigh 159 lbs, and my goal was to get to 135. I could stand to be a bit lower than that...125-130 I guess.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

ME: 159 lbx x .24 body fat= 38 lbs body fat
159 lbs total - 38 lbs fat = 121 lbs lean body mass
159 lbs - 25lbs= 134 lbs

Anyway, this helped me figure if my goal is realistic. Just thought I'd share.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    leaving you with 15lb of fat? That's quite low of a bf% @ 134, isn't it..? like 12%?
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Are you sure about that calculation? Because if you lost 25 pounds of fat alone, you would only have 13 pounds of fat on your body. That isn't nearly enough.

I am 135 pounds and 24% body fat. Granted, it is still possible for the two of us to have the same body fat but be at different weights.

Hmmm.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    leaving you with 15lb of fat? That's quite low of a bf% @ 134, isn't it..? like 12%?

12 percent is tough for girls to achieve.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You need to be dunked in a tank to know. I am 5'3" and 190... which sounds obese, and yes I can loose a few, but I am 21%
  • Jennypins
    Jennypins Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Oh! Is it??? So, what should I shoot for?

I'm asking because I have NO CLUE what would be healthy for me. Uggh.
  • deannarey13
    Options

Right. This actually calculates to be closer to 10% besides. To the original poster, I am thinking your calliper measurements may be slightly off and/or you don't have as much body fat to lose as you think you do.

If you actually try to lose 25 pounds and you are really only 24% body fat, you would then be losing lean body mass as well which wouldn't be desirable at all.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    You need to be dunked in a tank to know. I am 5'3" and 190... which sounds obese, and yes I can loose a few, but I am 21%

You have got to be seriously muscular. That isn't the only way to get an accurate body fat calculation.
  • Jennypins
    Options
    Sigh. I am so stinking confused. And frustrated.

What the heck??? How do I know what to shoot for? I'm "overweight" now, according to the health charts, at 5'5, 159 lbs.

Someone... SAVE ME!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    This will help you better visualize what each percentage looks like.

Female body builders at 9-11% - DONOT keep that leanness all year long. Its almost impossible. They lean out during the season, but then allow BF to go up some on off season, both for health reasons, and to give them some diet variety, as well as allowing them to continue to build and maintain muscle.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Keep in mind, your muscle mass amounts, will change the way you look overall, and of course your unique body built.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    double post
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Sigh. I am so stinking confused. And frustrated.

What the heck??? How do I know what to shoot for? I'm "overweight" now, according to the health charts, at 5'5, 159 lbs.

Someone... SAVE ME!

I wouldn't necessarily use the calliper to figure out your body fat or use that body fat calculation to figure out your ideal weight. Each person is different. Lose the weight that you feel comfortable with. I am about the same height and I started at 158 pounds and have got down to 130 at the lowest, but currently comforable at 135. I am having my body fat done today, but I would say that it is likely between 24-25%.

You might feel healthy and comfortable with 140-145 and likely, that is considered in the "healthy" range.
  • Gw3nhwyfar
    Options
    have you talked to your doctor? the only way someone is going to be able to tell you what is right for you is if they are familiar with you and your body. average (healthy) women should have between 21 and 24% of fat on them.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Using the calipers is one of the better ways to monitor your progress, as long as it's the same person taking your measurements. The number you get for body fat percentage will not be that accurate, but your changes in body fat will be... does that make sense?

If you measure/calculate 18% body fat and a month later you measure 16% body fat, the 2% loss is accurate, but that doesn't mean you're really 16% body fat.
  • Jennypins
    Options
    Okay, thanks all. I was going to delete this post because it's a hot mess due to my confusion, but I guess I'll leave it up for someone else's information.

I'm going to stick with my original goal of 135. That's that.

seriously, thanks to all of you for jumping in and helping me. I really appreciate it.
  • Jennypins
    Options
    This link is very eye-opeining. I do NOT want to look like 10%!!! Oh my goodness!

20 is fine for me. Okay.

That's really interesting.

This will help you better visualize what each percentage looks like.

Female body builders at 9-11% - DONOT keep that leanness all year long. Its almost impossible. They lean out during the season, but then allow BF to go up some on off season, both for health reasons, and to give them some diet variety, as well as allowing them to continue to build and maintain muscle.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Keep in mind, your muscle mass amounts, will change the way you look overall, and of course your unique body built.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I think I have a body fat percentage of 25%.

I weigh: 152 lbs
    152 lbs * 0.25 = 38 lbs of fat,
    152 lbs - 38 lbs = 114 lbs of lean body mass.

Now lets assume I lose ONLY fat and maintain all muscle (this is very rare), and lets say I want 18% body fat (which I do). So at my goal weight, I'll still have 114 lbs of lean body mass, and that will make up 82% of my body weight.

114 lbs = 0.82 * goal

My goal weight = 114 lbs / 0.82 = 139 lbs
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Definitely leave up the post! I went to the site you listed in the beginning and learned all new stuff! I had no idea how to calculate weight vs body fat and all of that. I just had my body fat done a couple of days ago- according to that website, I actually should lose 35 lbs instead of 30 to be ideal. hmmmm. I better start running! lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks all. I was going to delete this post because it's a hot mess due to my confusion, but I guess I'll leave it up for someone else's information.

I'm going to stick with my original goal of 135. That's that.

seriously, thanks to all of you for jumping in and helping me. I really appreciate it.

At my very leanest, I was 22% body fat. This was when I was running a average 6 minute mile (5:05 was my fastest time) and on a very strict diet from my coach and trainer in high school. I have big boobs and thick thighs and wide hips so for me this was very good, but for other more petite women on my team, they were closer to 15% BF. Every woman is different, and genetics has a lot to do with how low you can go on BF and your body shape as well. My BF % was 47 when I was at my highest, and it's now 28%, which is pretty damn good for me. Just work on getting healthier, more fit, and losing pounds.

If you really want to burn fat though, you need to be at a caloric deficit AND train with heavy weights (not light ones in lots of reps).