Low Sodium Eggplant recipes

Options
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any good low sodium, low calorie eggplant recipes. I recently discovered how much I like eggplant parmesan, but it's packed with sodium from the tomato sauce and calories from the cheese. I'd like to be able to make this dish healthier, but I don't have a clue how to go about it. I'm also interested in any other eggplant recipes people have to offer up. Thanks!

Replies

• anewberry
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any good low sodium, low calorie eggplant recipes. I recently discovered how much I like eggplant parmesan, but it's packed with sodium from the tomato sauce and calories from the cheese. I'd like to be able to make this dish healthier, but I don't have a clue how to go about it. I'm also interested in any other eggplant recipes people have to offer up. Thanks!
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Yield: 6 Servings

2 medium eggplants (~1 # each)
    4 egg whites (beaten)
    1/2 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup grated nonfat or reduced fat Parmesan cheese
    Olive oil cooking spray
    1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    2 cans crused unsalted tomatoes
    Sauce:
    1 can tomato paste
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1.5 tsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1. To make the sauce, combing all of the sauce ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan, and stir well to mix. Bring the mixture ot a boil over high heat. Then, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 min. Set aside and keep warm.

2. Trim the ends off the eggplants, but do not peel. Cut each eggplant crosswise into 9 slices, approximately 1/2 inch thick.

3. Place the egg whites in a medium-sized shallow bowl. Combine the bred crumbs, flour, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesean cheese in another shallow bowl. Drip the eggplant slices first in the egg whites, then in the crumb mixture.

4. Coat a large baking sheet with olive oil spray, and arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the pan. Spray the tops of the slices very lightly with the cooking spray, and bake at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is golden brown and tender.

5. Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the eggplant slices to the dish, slightly overlapping the slices to allow them to fiti n a single layer. Pour the sauce over the eggplant slices, and sprinkle with the mozzarella and the remaining Parmesean.

6. Bake at 400F for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot with your choice of pasta.

Nutritional Facts (Per Serving)
    Calories: 201
    Cholesterol: 10mg
    Fat: 1.1g
    Carbs: 6g
    Protein: 15g
    Sodium: 588mg

***I haven't actually tried this recipe. It is from "Secrets of Fat-Free Cooking" by Sandra Woodruff (ISBN: 0895296683). You can probably lower the sodium by using your own Italian seasoning with no salt added.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi anewberry,

I did a search and found 2 recipes that appealed to me and hopefully will to you as well.

Here are the links:

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/JapaneseStyleEggplant.htm

http://www.mrsdash.com/recipes/recipe-view.aspx?recipeID=376

If you have trouble with these links, just let me know and I will post the recipes.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My Cooking Light cookbook has several that look good. I haven't tried them but I've been wanting to. Here are two; the first looks easy and the second requires some prep and cook time.

Over-Fried Eggplant

1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1 Tbl minced fresh onion
    12 (1/2 in. thick) slices unpeeled eggplant (about 1 pound0
    1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425". Combine mayo and onion; spread evenly over both sides of eggplant slices. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and Italian seasoning in a shallow bowl; dredge eggplant in breadcrumb mixture. Place sliced eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425 for 12 minutes. Turn eggplant over; bake 12 minutes or until golden. Yield: 4 servings (3 slices each).

Calories: 121, Fat: 2.8 gr, Protein 5g, Carb 19.8g Fiber 3g, Chol 5mg, Iron 1.1 mg Sodium 617mg, Calc 164mg

Roasted Ratatouille

1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices
    2 tsp olive oil, divided
    cooking spray
    3 zucchini, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices (about 1 pound)
    1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
    1 1/2 cups cut red bell pepper
    1 1/2 cups cut green bell pepper
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 cups chopped seeded unpeeled tomato
    2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper

Preheat broiler. Cut each eggplant slice into 4 wedges; place in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, and toss well. Arrange eggplant wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 14 minutes or until browned; place eggplant wedges in a large bowl, and set aside. Place zucchini in a bowl; drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, and toss well. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 10 minutes or until browned; add to eggplant and set aside. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic; saute 10 minutes or until tender. Add tomato; saute 5 minutes. Stir eggplant mixture, parsley, and remaining ingredients. Cover, reduce reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Yield 5 servings (about 1 cup each).

Calories 98, Fat3g, Protein 3.3g, Carb 17.4g, Fiber 4.9g, Chol 1mg, Iron 1.9mg, Sodium 248mg, Calc 38mg
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    slice your eggplant in 1/2 slices
    brush with olive oil and sprinkle with tad bit of kosher salt
    Bake in oven until tender

Make a chicken breast sandwich and top it off with the eggplant and some tomato and onions on toasted bread.