Baked Potatoe- good or bad for ya?

Options
I love baked potatoes! When you look up the nutritional facts it doesn't show anything but , I have heard that they are not good for you. Which one is it??????????? I dont eat a lot of them but, I would if I could.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    not really such thing as good/bad when it comes to weight loss.

if it fits your daily macronutrient requirements, you can eat it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    not really such thing as good/bad when it comes to weight loss.

if it fits your daily macronutrient requirements, you can eat it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine.............some people freak out because there white and mostly carbs, but there's nothing wrong with them for sure. Lots of nutrients in potatoes compared to other carb sources. Sweet potato and yams are also fine, and have a slightly better nutritional profile as well.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I can't comment here because you spelled potato wrong in the subject line.

hehe. For real though. Look up the nutrition information in a whole potato. Pretty impressive. When prepared in a healthy way they are quite good for you. And if you bake them you can substitute Greek yogurt in for sour cream.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not slathering it in butter, cheese or full fat sour cream . . baked potatoes are quite good for you. Loaded with potassium, fiber, good carbs . . and they are very filling. I usually use just fat free or light sour cream on mine. I know some folks don't care for anything other than the "full fat" sour cream . . but for me, it works.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are awesome! They even have some fiber. If you have the allowance for it, eat one. If you need sour cream, substitute some plain greek yogurt. We have potatoes on a regular basis!!!
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Baked potato by itself is fine i think, but if you tend to have it with lots of butter and cheese then it is less healthy :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I love potatoes! Red ones are my fav :D loaded with potassium and have iron. SO filling. I bake them or roast them in olive oil :]

No reason not to eat them in my book if they fit in your macros
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    good in moderation ; ) i think what would really pack on the pounds are all the toppings.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your day, the portion size is accurate and you don't add a bunch of toppings it's fine.
    Serving size is 4 oz .
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    ...And if you bake them you can substitute Greek yogurt in for sour cream.

You are the second person today to mention the yogurt/sour cream substitution. I'm going to have to try this!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    can always use I cant believe its not butter spay!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I like baked potatoes. But, only with butter on. Add the calories combined, and although i like it, it's not worth the currency for me personally :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine as long as you log them in and don't lay on heavy stuff like lots of cheese and sour cream or butter. Maybe a tablespoon of butter on it and call it a day.

Sweet potatoes are supposed to be higher in nutritional value.

I also love potatoes and had red potatoes the other night with a steak. Yummy!
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sounds bad but I eat my POTATO with BBQ sauce. I love them!! Thanks for the response. May have to try yogurt but I ain't a fan of greek yogurt.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes! Red ones are my fav :D loaded with potassium and have iron. SO filling. I bake them or roast them in olive oil :]

OOOoo, I haven't made these in a long time; just sort of forgot about them. Now, I'll make some this weekend! I like just pepper and parsley on mine.
    I've had a few sweet potatoes, since they are just now coming into our farmer's market. I had forgotten how tasty they are too...
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are my BEST friend.

Typically, I pair it with a protein (Salmon) and a veggie(asparagus...steamed). We keep low fat sour cream in the house and that is all we use on top.

The amount of potassium is AMAZING.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Same here. Red potatoes are my FAVE by far! I love to roast them with olive oil too! YUM . . making me hungry and I just had lunch!! LOL
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My brother lost 60lbs in a few months eating almost nothing BUT potatoes. Eat 'em up
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ...And if you bake them you can substitute Greek yogurt in for sour cream.

You are the second person today to mention the yogurt/sour cream substitution. I'm going to have to try this!

It is also fantastic in Mexican dishes (in the place of sour cream). :) Good source of protein and low fat....