Fake before and after pictures, and real ones.

Options
c2sky
c2sky Posts: 487 Member
I love you guys that post your before and after pictures. I know and believe they are real because we are all on this journey together, and we WATCH each other's progress, but in the advertising world of weight loss, do NOT believe everything you see.

PLEASE read my story:
One of my continuing education classes for personal training included a speaker about weight loss products. The speaker did not name the product, but he told a true story that shocked us all. So read this carefully.
Because as shocking as it is, I believe the speaker.

The speaker had a very fit, good looking friend, a young man who had always kept himself in fantastic shape, had always watched what he ate, and had the body any guy would love to have. This weight loss product company approached him. They offered him tons of money to get fat. You see, they took pictures of him while he was buff and gorgeous. Then he ate crap for weeks, and gained a lot of weight. He felt like crap too, but they had offered him a LOT of money. Then they took pictures of him, when he was fat. Guess which picture they used for the "before" picture??? Guess which picture they used for the "after"? Yep, they swapped them. They used his true fit gorgeous before picture for the AFTER one. They used the picture they took of him after he got fat and posted it as his BEFORE picture.

Are you gasping now? Are you furious? How do they get away with it? Simple. They post disclaimers like, "results not typical" etc. You should have heard the gasps by all of us personal trainers in the room. We would have never thought a company could do this. Is it possible this speaker lied to us? I suppose, but why would he? This is a reputable, repsected, national education organization.

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    how much did they pay him?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Tom Venuto (popluar natural bobdy builder) talks about this kind of crap that the diet industry pulls. He said he was asked to do something similar and turned it down.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Whoa! That's messed up
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's been going on for years...with beauty products as well.
  • QueenCat25
    Options
    WOW! I'm speechless.

These damn companies don't give a crap about us. They want in our pockets. I'm kinda pissed, to be honest...that this country has become so pathetic.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    He didn't say how much money. He said his friend was not allowed to disclose it.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the only difference between the pictures is better posture, a bit of fake tan, and lots of Photoshop.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would never have thought anyone would do that, although now I hear it I totally believe it!!!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is very easy for me to believe. I'd say there are definitely more companies out there in the world would do ANYthing to make a buck than companies that wouldn't. Feeding the greed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I love you guys that post your before and after pictures. I know and believe they are real because we are all on this journey together, and we WATCH each other's progress, but in the advertising world of weight loss, do NOT believe everything you see.

PLEASE read my story:
    One of my continuing education classes for personal training included a speaker about weight loss products. The speaker did not name the product, but he told a true story that shocked us all. So read this carefully.
    Because as shocking as it is, I believe the speaker.

The speaker had a very fit, good looking friend, a young man who had always kept himself in fantastic shape, had always watched what he ate, and had the body any guy would love to have. This weight loss product company approached him. They offered him tons of money to get fat. You see, they took pictures of him while he was buff and gorgeous. Then he ate crap for weeks, and gained a lot of weight. He felt like crap too, but they had offered him a LOT of money. Then they took pictures of him, when he was fat. Guess which picture they used for the "before" picture??? Guess which picture they used for the "after"? Yep, they swapped them. They used his true fit gorgeous before picture for the AFTER one. They used the picture they took of him after he got fat and posted it as his BEFORE picture.

Are you gasping now? Are you furious? How do they get away with it? Simple. They post disclaimers like, "results not typical" etc. You should have heard the gasps by all of us personal trainers in the room. We would have never thought a company could do this. Is it possible this speaker lied to us? I suppose, but why would he? This is a reputable, repsected, national education organization.
    Not to mention that many BEFORE pictures, they are slumped over, stick their bellies out, their skin is pasty white or light...............
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Does not suprise me at all!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Oh. my. goodness!!!! That is insane!!!!!! I guess I'm too trusting... I would have NEVER thought someone would do something like that.... WOWZA!!!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!! I wholeheartedly agree!
    WOW! I'm speechless.

These damn companies don't give a crap about us. They want in our pockets. I'm kinda pissed, to be honest...that this country has become so pathetic.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It doesn't surprise me but it still pisses me off.

So ridiculous.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    :noway: Sneaky!!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Advertising has been lying to us for years. Nothings going to change, still baffles me how people still buy into and then are shocked when they don't get the promised results.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Years ago I knew a guy whose friend was the "Soloflex" guy (in the commercials) at that time. He said the guy had never used the Soloflex in his life!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The shake weight cracks me up. Those dudes are already ripped and haven't exercised yet... Then they throw them in the gym to get all pumped and vein y, then hand them the shake weight. LOL

...Like that shake weight is gonna give you a six pack or something lol
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can pay me $10,000 and I'll gain 5lbs!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Advertising has been lying to us for years. Nothings going to change, still baffles me how people still buy into and then are shocked when they don't get the promised results.

I agree! No matter what clothes, make-up, exercise equipment or diet pill I buy, I will never look like the model advertising the product.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!