I'm the only overweight person in the house

Options
Ok so new topic....

I have a live in boyfriend who is underweight and can use all the calories he can get. I have a teenage son who can eat and eat and not gain a pound. I am the one who does the cooking every night. Any suggestions on how I can cook for everyone without making different meals? I don't want to make them burgers and fries while I am sitting there eating a salad you know? Ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Portion control and exercise. I have a food scale that is the best thing I could have done for weight loss. I was shocked at what was a true serving and what I thought was a serving. :flowerforyou:
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Just because they can eat crap with out gaining weight doesn't mean they should. Save your self some effort and Make them the same foods you make your self and you can all be healthy together. There are some really great meal ideas on the recipes forum!
  • lleffas
    Options
    If you fix burgers, forget about the fries and have a side salad. Everyone in the house will benefit from eating more greens! Make yourself a "slider" so you don't feel cheated and happily have it with that extra large salad and no bun. Like the previous poster said..... Portion control. I am trying to continue eating my favorite things, just smaller portions and adding lots more vegetables.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Me too!

Granted, I have always dated tall men who also happened to be chubby chasers (never again! lol) so I was always eating the same amount they did (bad idea!). And now that I am home near my mom and brother, I find that they are both still thin as ever and I'm the fat family member. LOL They eat late, usually pasta, bread, cheese, etc. and drink regularly. I rarely drink and have stopped eating all that crap. I am resigned to the fact that if I eat like they do, I'm screwed! lol It sucks, but hey, that's life.

So I got used to the words, "No thank you." and baby carrots. lol
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar position my hubby eats a lot, but enjoys healthy food so I usually have a small portion of what I cook for him but my son eats junk he is 18 now so if he is going to eat junk he has to cook the junk himself. There are some meals I cook that we eat though. It is all about compromise I suppose.:drinker:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    switch from burgers and fries to one of: chicken, fish, ground chicken/turkey ...along with salad or veggie. good health for the entire family.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyones responses. I am also the only overweight one in my household. I do not fix different meals for them than I do myself. I will eat less of the hamburger ( no bun just a slice of low cal cheese onions tomatos and pickles with a bit mustard) half a serving of fries and double up on the veggie I make. My whole family is healthier now than a year ago since I started cooking lower cal/carb/sugar foods for them as well. I got inventive and didnt deprive them of the taste....just the bad stuff (example, I replaced hamburger in spaghetti with turkey and bought 9 grain noodles instead) good luck :)
  • geogal95
    geogal95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Keep the advice coming... these are great! I have tried the turkey instead of hamburg - an aquired taste I guess. Not having a bun with the burger is great advice. I do get the leanest ones that can be sold anyway. I don't have a lot of time to cook a big meal, so i will check the recipe section for a quick yet healthy family meal. You guys rock!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Have whatever they are having in a lettuce wrap. Literally replace the bun/bread/whatever with lettuce leaves. Iceberg is like no calories but still works as a "vessel". :)
  • charlesalvear
    charlesalvear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have whatever they are having in a lettuce wrap. Literally replace the bun/bread/whatever with lettuce leaves. Iceberg is like no calories but still works as a "vessel". :)

Ooh I like this lettuce wrap idea!

@GeoGal, are the other members of your household willing to support you by eating the same meals as you do? I found it tough to eat healthy while I was married because the ex and I weren't on the same page about nutrition.
  • geogal95
    geogal95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For the most part, they will eat whatever I make. My main concern (although I know it should be ME), is that my bf is underweight and needs to gain weight to be healthy. He is happy to eat what I cook, but then I fear he is not getting enough calories. I like the portion suggestions... just give him more of what I make, and I eat less than him. My son could go either way. I just find myself wanting to do things the easy way as I don't have much time to dedicate to making dinner. Its a bad habit of mine I know...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've mostly gone the portion control route in my house. Pretty much making the same things I always have (with a few minor adjustments to help lower the calories/fat here and there). Hubby eats as much as he wants and I take a normal portion for myself.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The benefits of healthy eating do not end with a final calorie count. Foods high in fat and sugar are not good for anyone; overweight or not. I try to cook heart healthy meals (high fiber, low fat, low sugar, low calorie). The normo-weight/underweight family members can eat larger portions or supplement with higher calorie options, like nuts. If they really want a pizza, I fix a Lean Cuisine Pizza for myself. I eat spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs while they have the same sauce over pasta. Everyone loves oven-baked french fries!