Gluten Free Bread

Options
Hi,
I have been on a gluten free diet for about 5 weeks now and it has really changed my digestive system for the better, total difference in how I feel! But I have this problem....gluten free bread!! I can go out to our local bakery and purchase their bread but you have to get there pretty early to buy the good stuff and honestly I would rather just buy some bread when I go to the store but the ones that I have tried are like eating sawdust...yuck!! I was just wondering if anyone has tried one that is good and what store they found it hiding in:)
Thankyou,
Jodi

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm no help here, but bump so I can find out!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i make my own mixes in individual bags, then when i want bread i throw together the moist ingredients and add the dry...

so far store bread can't compare, but udi's is the best we've found that is store bought. (at the local Kroger/Scotts store) Udi's hamburger and hot dog buns are so good they don't even seem gluten free.

feel free to pm me for my bread recipe.
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Its all horrid im afraid. Best i found was warburtons tho. Give that a try. Tasted better toasted too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I avoid bread, but Udi's seems to be a good brand. If I'm having a sandwich, I'll either lettuce wrap it, or use a portabello mushroom cap, like so:
    Picture%2B1171.jpg
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I use the King Arthur GF bread mix. It's very easy to prepare. I use my machine, but the main directions are for without. I really like it because it doesn't have any bean flours in it. As far as the prepared ones, I've been buying O'dough's. It does have chickpea flour in it, but I can't taste it at all.

edited to add: yes, they ALL taste better toasted!
  • oldbiddy
    Options
    Don't know where you are located but ... Juvella fibre bread rolls are my favourite - their bread is ok too. Tesco Free From counter now make their own Gluten Free loaves and sell them alongside Genius bread. I tend to stick with the bread rolls as I can open a pack and have one a day and the rest are ok for 5 days or so in the cupboard after opening. Gluten free stuff tends to dry out quicker than standard foods. I refresh rolls in Microwave for 42 seconds on full power before using and they are about as good as you can get! Glutafin Crackers are nice too - always keep a few packets in the cupboard as they are useful if I run out of bread. Schar is good for spaghetti - Rizopia also do pasta too. Much better these days than they used to be! Shop carefully at the Free From counter - check it does say gluten free as wheat free is not the same!
    PS If you need to be on a gluten free diet because you are Coeliac you need to make sure you stick to it - avoid wheat flour, barley, rye etc - sauces and gravy powders are ones to watch carefully. Otherwise the damage to your gut continues.....talk to GP!
  • caffn8d
    caffn8d Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Homemade is best, but Udi's is pretty good. It is better toasted.
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    IndividuL mixes are good and if you toast the bread crispy you can't notice :)
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Gluten Free Pantry's favorite sandwich bread mix
    http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Pantry-Favorite-Sandwich-22-Ounce/dp/B000EVG8H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318621814&sr=8-1

It is subscribe and save at Amazon ... $23.46 for 6 mixes.

It actually tastes pretty good and has a more 'normal' bread texture than most gf loaves. I but it for my son, but I have nibbled the crusts and it's the best tasting bread we've found yet.
    I make a loaf every weekend. Once it cools, I slice it, bag 2 slices per sandwich bag, and then toss in the freezer to keep fresh.
  • BizzyBee62
    BizzyBee62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! I love mushrooms so it would just be an added bonus! Thankyou:)
  • BizzyBee62
    BizzyBee62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for your answers, I will look for the brands you mentioned in the local markets here.
    Have a great day..
    Jodi
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Oh, your picture just made me think of another one!
    http://www.whitelionbakingco.com/
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I avoid bread, but Udi's seems to be a good brand. If I'm having a sandwich, I'll either lettuce wrap it, or use a portabello mushroom cap, like so:
    Picture%2B1171.jpg

that actually looks so delicious
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Picture%2B1171.jpg

that actually looks so delicious

Ohhhh it WAS! PM me and I'll send you the recipe