Black out Restaurants

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Has anyone here eaten at one of those restaurants where you eat in complete darkness?
How was it? What did they serve? How was the experience?
I really want to try this but there is no restaurant anywhere near here that does it, so I was thinking of just doing it in my house with a few friends. Any info or tips on how to not make a huge mess in my house would be appreciated thanks!!

Replies

• Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Watch for roaming hands.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    but I thought that was part of the dinner :)
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    but I thought that was part of the dinner :)
    That's where my vote was going!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Watch for roaming hands.
    You aren't any fun. I thought those hands took care of appetizers and dessert.
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've only seen that tv show episode that did it. CSI?

The idea is to have a bunch of different tastes and textures so you're a little disoriented.

I also think eating with your hands is part of the experience, so maybe nothing too saucy unless your guests aren't dressing up
  • MeganLMeier
    Options
    Errrrrr... do you live in Manhattan? I don't think such things exist in DC.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of haunted houses when you were little and they would pass around spaghetti and be like

"And these are his BRAAIIIIIINNNNNSSS".

I think it is just silliness.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Errrrrr... do you live in Manhattan? I don't think such things exist in DC.

No I live 20 minutes from DC and I checked into it, they don't have one yet. So I'll just have to make my own fun at home :(
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I like to see my food
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of haunted houses when you were little and they would pass around spaghetti and be like

"And these are his BRAAIIIIIINNNNNSSS".

I think it is just silliness.
    Or peeled grapes as eyeballs. Good times. Not paying serious dough to do it though.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like to see my food
    Me, too. I do enjoy eating with my hands though. It's my dirty little secret.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    The is on in Montreal... which does not help at all. haha.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Hey! Who stole my chocolate cake!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird to me... only someone in a country OBSESSED with food would come up with something like this!! lol
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    A coworker did this. You will spill things, and possibly get something on yourself. It's kind of expensive ($100 per couple). She loved the experience but would not do it again.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird to me... only someone in a country OBSESSED with food would come up with something like this!! lol
    wait, what? huh?
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It's a fun idea. I have seen it several times on tv shows. The only thing is all the staff wears night vison goggles so they can see. I don't know how you would do with getting the people seated and serving the food unless you had some of those. If not you would have to set the table, serve the food and drinks, seat everyone and then turn out the lights but that defeats the purpose of the people not seeing what they are eating and all.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Ooops....sorry....you ok? I didn't mean to fork your hand, I thought that was my steak.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I'm totally obsessed with food. Have based entire vacations on food and will continue to.

That said I have NO desire to EVER eat my dinner in the dark.

When I do, I'll just stop paying my electric bill.
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Another meaning to "Blind Date" I guess.