i didn't feel like running, but...

Options
i did it anyway because i know how good i'll feel after i run. i only started running outside, and i have to say that it is easier for me to run outside than on a track or a treadmill. i feel as though i'm getting somewhere, and i don't get bored. also, if i stop halfway, i have to walk aaallll the way back! hahaha, so i'd rather just run it.

i guess i'm writing this because i've never, ever run consistently in my life. not only that, but before i started working out, i thought that a mile was such a long distance. and now, i'm running more than 3.5 miles (with a few walking breaks). it's amazing what your body can do! so stick with it.

if i'm ever really not motivated, i will put my hair up and get my sweaty gym clothes on. then, i have to shower no matter what, so i think that i might as well work up a sweat. try it! i also listen to podcasts to keep myself entertained. good luck on everyone's journey :)

today, i ran 3.7 miles in about 38 minutes, which is almost 6 mph! if i can do it, then you can definitely do it. keep up the good work!!

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! And really made me want to run.. Guess I know what i'll be doing when I get home :)

GOOD JOB!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Your are about twice as fast as me! My goal is to run 5 miles by December, I'm currently at 3.1 with walk breaks and a SLOW pace...
  • paddythemic
    Options
    you'll get addicted to it if you keep it up...

great way to burn calories and feel good!
  • sweets2001
    Options
    Good for you getting out there even if you initially didn't want to! Keep up the good work!
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    That is a great pace!! I run considerably slower than that, lol! But it was reading posts like yours that made me even consider running, and then consider running a 5k, and well, you get the drift!

So thank you for posting, and to those just starting out running - we are living proof that our bodies are amazing, and consistent effort pays huge dividends!

Oh, today I ran my longest time, 50 minutes jogging, and with my warmup/cool down I travelled 4.24 miles. I was so happy/proud (ok, maybe a bit high from the run, too!). May 15th I could barely walk for 15 minutes without getting sore and winded.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    That is awesome, I hope I can get to where you are!

9503649.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well let me be the first to tell you if you have not already figured it out. You my dear, are a true runner! Its addivtive and hard but when you get into it and truly love the "personal" challenge it offers... you become one of THOSE. The ones you see running thru the eliments looking like they just got out of a shower and always have thier mouth open. lol.
    Enjoy! I do!
  • idlose
    idlose Posts: 16
    Options
    i was gonna wait till Monday, as I hate starting things on a day other than the beginning of the week, but this is what i started today...

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

it is a couch to 5k running schedule to help ease you into a running schedule.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I could have almost written the exact same post. I really didn't want to do anything this morning, but made myself run 2 miles. Prior to late May, I didn't run at all since high school...and I only ran what was required of me in high school PE class. For the next 20+ years, I would say I couldn't run because of my flat feet...but, really, I was just lazy.

Now, even though running is not my primary exercise, I do enjoy the challenge to push myself. I also don't like the treadmill. I increased my route to 3.5 miles recently and I'm running at almost a 6 mph pace (did the 3.5 miles in 36:30). I hope to be able to run 5 miles at once before the end of the year.

good times.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    you'll get addicted to it if you keep it up...

great way to burn calories and feel good!

Fantastic and yes you will get addcited! I got the running bug and I agree, running outside is much better than in... You'll get way faster times and varied terrain...plus the technique if you're training for a race is better as you actually push off your foot as opposed to the treadmill pulling you foot! And yes, sometimes it's hard to get going or even to the gym but once you start getting into it, I find it hard to stop! Feels so exhilerating! :)

Val xx
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes - yes - yes........fantastic effort - and I bet you feel so much better for it!!

I did not have the energy for my session this morning - but as I was meeting my trainer I had to go - and killed it - last time I did my X-Fit program I did it in 42 mins - today 38:28!!