Marathon runners advice please :)

Options
I signed up for training sessions for the LA marathon, which is in mid march. Is that enough time to train for this?! Im more of a treadmill runner and i can run 3 miles in around 27 mins and have done 4 in 36:31 before...I was also wondering do people wear camel backs for training so you can drink water? Or how does this all work?! ANY info would be greatly appreciated. Even down to what gear, clothing etc to wear! Thanks all! :)

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to know, too!

(good luck with the LA marathon!)
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    You have plenty of time to train.

I don't wear a camelpak but I've seen people at races who do. You can also look at fuel belts if you want to carry water hands free.

Running shoes - get fitted at a running store if you haven't already. Looks like you are in the LA area so there are some good ones to chose from. I'm more in the OC area and like A Snail's Pace. The clothes is just what works for you. I like Under Armor and Nike but try on different brands and find what works best for you. Also, Body Glide! This will keep you from chaffing. Invest in some if you haven't already.

Anything else, just ask. Wishing you all the best!
  • mackenzg
    mackenzg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hey there..

I just ran the long beach marathon and ran surf city as well..SO! First, congrats on making the decision to run a marathon :) you definitely have enough time to train!

I use a fuel belt and absolutely LOVE it. I have the one with 4 bottles and i usually do 2 with water and the other 2 with cytomax (sports drink) it also comes with pouches and i had that filled with gu and my ipod.

Have a BLAST! And feel free to ask me any questions anytime!!!

Good luck!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You should have plenty of time to train for the marathon. I trained for my first one in 18 weeks (which was plenty of time for me to be ready). The main rule when training is to not increase your milage by more that 10% each week. As far as what to wear, stay away from cotton it hurts when it rubs on your skin. Cotton is rotten is the way I always remember it.

Make sure you get fitted for shoes! It will help you from getting an injury. Also, keep track of how many miles you put on your shoes. You should be between 300 - 500 miles before you need new shoes. I would get two pairs of shoes if you can so that you have two shoes that you can wear while training.

Also, if you can find some shorter races to run between now and then it would be a great idea. I would put a 5k, 10k, and maybe a 15k on your schedule. Never race in any clothes or shoes that you haven't worn before on a training run.

I did a lot of my training for my first marathon on a treadmill because it was way to cold and icy to run outside. I did all of my weekend runs outside because I can't run more than 5 miles on a treadmill without wanting to smack my head against the wall (waaaay too boring). You picked a great time to train for a marathon because it's so much cooler in the fall and winter. I made the mistake of trying to train for a fall race in the heat of the Georgia summer (injury prevented me from actually running the race).

As far as what to eat/drink....I stick to water for everything under an hour. If it's between 2 - 4 hours, I will drink gatorade and use Sharkies (you can get them at any running store). You'll have to see what works for you. Try lost of things while you are training!

Good Luck with the training.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can train for LA, but it is time get going.

I've done LA four times now and am doing it again this year.

Have you considered training with the LA Roadrunners? If you are located in the right part of town it may be a good way to go.

http://www.lamarathon.com/roadrunners/about-us/

If not, them I'd suggest Hal Higdon

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/MaraNovice1.html
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You can train for LA, but it is time get going.

I've done LA four times now and am doing it again this year.

Have you considered training with the LA Roadrunners? If you are located in the right part of town it may be a good way to go.

http://www.lamarathon.com/roadrunners/about-us/

If not, them I'd suggest Hal Higdon

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/MaraNovice1.html

Wow that website is so helpful! I don't live around the areas of roadrunners, but i am going to try alpharunning and train with them. Thanks for the info! :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Awesome! See you at the starting. Hopefully no rain this year!

link to awesome weather at the finish line

http://youtu.be/OD7fHIVPvow
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You should have plenty of time to train for the marathon.

Make sure you get fitted for shoes!

Also, if you can find some shorter races to run between now and then it would be a great idea. I would put a 5k, 10k, and maybe a 15k on your schedule. Never race in any clothes or shoes that you haven't worn before on a training run.

As far as what to eat/drink....I stick to water for everything under an hour. If it's between 2 - 4 hours, I will drink gatorade and use Sharkies (you can get them at any running store). You'll have to see what works for you. Try lost of things while you are training!

Good Luck with the training.

a lot of good advice here,

RE: what to drink/eat, experiment on your long runs, different bodies do well with different things, there is no one size fits all approach. also, it is important what you eat and drink right after your long runs. I drink Myoplex which i love but you dont have to get anything too technical, chocolate milk is a perfect post run replacement drink, getting that protein in your system right after will keep you from being sore the next day.

and another person suggested a training group which is a huge plus, running with others helps in so many ways. you will go faster, the time & miles will fly by and you will stick to your runs since you wont want to miss the group on the day when you are tired, sick or for whatever reason you start thinking about skipping your run.

also, dont forget to cross train. try to do yoga once a week and work a bike ride or a swim in between runs on your off days. you will survive without that but if you can add that to your routine you will decrease your chance of injury and your running will improve a lot quicker.

i ran LA in 2010, i tell everyone that it is a great race for a first timer, have a great time! sign up now to give yourself another motivation to stick with your training, if you wait then you are giving yourself an out.