Need some dinner Ideas!!!

Options
Ironyb
Ironyb Posts: 30
Hey I am a college student and me and my roommate are trying to find some new meals to prepare that's under 400 calories, (300 would be better.) If you guys have any ideas please let us know. :)

Replies

• KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    not great for every single day, but lean cuisine steamers are great when you need something quick...i add extra frozen veggies for more nutrition :smile:

another go to meal for my family is lemon pepper chicken...can grill, george foreman grill, bake, or cook on the stove top. 1 chicken breast, season with lemon pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. extra lemon juice on the side is nice. serve over salad, with a baked tater and veggies, whatever. pretty versitle (sp?) dish and it's about 192 calories for the chicken. :smile:
  • thebeadinggoddess
    Options
    well most probably wouldnt recommend it but i have been eating marie callender tv dinner they range from 300-450 calories. Thats why i have been eating as i have a problem with portion control. i think they are great. There is even a chicken and spinach lasagna that is to die for. It is my favorite and it serves 4. my other favorite is a bowl of salad with 1 grilled chicken patty with fat free ranch. Only 200 and something calories that is filling too!! Good luck!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Last night I made the SkinnyTaste Chicken Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce and OMGOSH it is SO good!!!! I substituted Greek yogurt in place of light sour cream. I also used double the chicken with no beans because my BF doesn't like them. HIGHLY recommend this recipe! :love:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/06/chicken-and-white-bean-enchiladas-with.html

Edit: I see people posting frozen meal ideas. Beware of the sodium content in those meals. Google sodium and weight loss and sodium and health to learn more about why that is something to watch out for. There are "light in sodium" frozen meals by Amy's, but I have found them harder to find. I find one here and there.

These recipe sites are awesome! Check them out too!

www.canyonranch.com/community_connection/recipes
    www.rodale.recipes.com
    www.eatingwell.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.skinnytaste.com
    www.skinnycrockpot.com
  • Renee0608
    Renee0608 Posts: 138
    Options
    Turkey tacos with extra lean turkey, low fat cheese, wheat tortillas, lettuce, tomato---yum! Or Chicken Alfredo--with fat free cream of chicken, fat free milk, parm cheese, baked chicken, whole wheat pasta--yum too!
  • Ironyb
    Options
    lol I know me and my roommate are straying away form already prepared foods but our dinners are starting to get boring. And our other creative dinners are high in calories. ::embarassed:
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Boy do these sound good. Going to try them.
  • Ironyb
    Options
    That sounds delicious my roommate will love that! Thanks :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of rice and stirfried veggies with a dash of sauce. Easy and cheap. Also, Flatout wraps stuffed with lettuce and meat. I second the turkey tacos! I make them and they're bomb!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I like the recipes in Evelyn Tribole's books, "Healthy Eating" and "More Healthy Eating" ... they're easy and fast to make. A lot of classic U.S.A. comfort foods revised to make them more healthful with a lot of simple suggestions for modifying your own recipes.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like to stick with fresh meals myself. I've discovered a couple of relatively low calorie sauces that I've used to spice up otherwise bland dishes. Trader Joe's has a Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce and Costco has Panda Express Orange Sauce.

I like to use the curry sauce on halibut that I cook in a non-stick pan (no oil needed). I place the fish on a bed of wild rice and pour the extra sauce over the rice to add flavor. You can even throw in a cup of broccoli and stay under 350 calories with a ton of flavor. 30-40 minutes to make, but only because of the rice.

The Panda Express Orange Sauce makes a great stir fry. I cut up one chicken breast and cook it. Then add a chopped sweet green pepper and some broccoli (or whatever else you like), pour in two tablespoons of the sauce and cook to your liking. 15-20 minutes total including prep. And this one comes in at only 250 calories.

Both sauces will work well with poultry, fish or even beef. On weekends I'll cook up several batches of these and stick them in tupperware for later in the week. My biggest problem is keeping my wife and kids from eating my extras!
  • rayettainutah
    Options
    This is what I have eaten every night for dinner for the past 3 weeks. Haven't got tired of it yet. Steam mushrooms and broceli. set aside. Heat up 1/4 cup of morning star veggie crumbles in the microwave and set aside. Heat one Ole extreme wellness spinach and herb torilla wrap in a pan on both sides. Sprinkle a small amount of sargento jalepeno shredded cheese on it and add the vegetables and veggie crumbles. Put 2 tbls of fat free sour cream on and fold the wrap in half. Heat on both sides. Then add diced fresh tomatoes and cole slaw. For a dressing I use Paul Newmans lite sesame ginger (2 tablespoons). Sometime I put a little avocado in it. It's delicious and very good for you. The tortilla itself has 12 g fiber. You can steam chicken or turkey and add that instead if you want. I use the veggie meat because I am trying to refrain from eating too much cholestrol.