Feet Fall Asleep

Options
Does anyone else have the issue that their feet fall asleep after about 15 minutes on the elliptical?

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yup, but it usually only takes me 5 minutes (or less).:grumble:
  • agentmattdionne
    Options
    mine did. i just talked it up to poor circulation smoking a pack a day. but haven't had the issue in a a while
  • lotuslion
    Options
    It might be your shoes. I used to have this problem on the elliptical and on the bike - my shoes weren't giving proper support, and it was causing my feet to go numb. If you have a running store (I mean a legit running store, not like a Sports Authority) near you, see if they do a biometric gait analysis. If they do, go have them fit you for a good pair of running shoes, and see if that helps. A less expensive option would be to get inserts like Good Feet to help with support. Good luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yep. My feet go completely numb on the elliptical - so I no longer use it. I actually like the incline trainer far more than either the treadmill or elliptical.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If anything restricts your circulation--like too tight laces or non-supportive shoes--that can cause it. I hope that helps. Good luck.
  • 1prettysmile
    Options
    I thought it was just me! Starts with my toes. At time it feels as if I'm going to get a cramp in the bottom of my foot. I'd rather use the treadmill.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Yup - your shoes. I had that problem running until I got new shoes and had them laced a special way....
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    Yes i do and but i work out on a stationary bike and do arm exercises on my wii and i get tingling and carpal tunnel syndrome feelings in my feet and hands or like they fall asleep...it comes and go but i think is getting better. it sucks. but im hoping it will clear up with time. I dont want to stop working out so i just been taking it easier on my work outs.

Maybe break up your work outs. My doctor said 30 min to maintain weight and 60 to loose weight but you dont have to do the whole 60 at once. break it up 30 min in morning 30 in afternoon. take it easier. My hands and feet get that sleeping feeling after my works outs. idk about yours but good luck

I hope you feel better soon sweetie

GET WELL
  • rosegiver
    Options
    Well I haven't been on one but it looks like a strider, and if your feet is falling asleep you may have the intensity too high. Or possibly you may have to go to a physician to see if you are ok. Usually before anyone starts exercising or going on a diet they should go to a physician to see if there is any limits.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yup - your shoes. I had that problem running until I got new shoes and had them laced a special way....

I went to a running shop and was fitted for shoes -- bought the ones they recommended.... it still happens. I can run on the treadmill and I can do the incline trainer too. The ONLY thing that makes my feet numb is the elliptical - so it has to be something about the way you stand on it or something (they go numb no matter where I set the intensity).

Not sure WHY my feet go numb, but I know without a doubt it isn't my shoes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I went to a running shop and was fitted for shoes -- bought the ones they recommended.... it still happens. I can run on the treadmill and I can do the incline trainer too. The ONLY thing that makes my feet numb is the elliptical - so it has to be something about the way you stand on it or something (they go numb no matter where I set the intensity).

Not sure WHY my feet go numb, but I know without a doubt it isn't my shoes.
    Have you tried relacing your shoes so they are looser? Or not wearing shoes at all? It's not an impact workout, so you don't really need shoes. I ride my stationary bike in just a pair of socks. The few times I've used my mom's elliptical I've done the same and no numbness.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    that happened to me so I would do it with no shoes on, which I don't think the other people in the gym liked, but that's what I got for working out in Vans. I didn't have money to buy new shoes at the time, but now I have some new ones, it's better, not perfect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Because of CONSTANT pressure on balls and heels of your feet, ellipticals can make feet go numb. To try to relieve it, lift your heels up every few strides and try going backwards completely lifting your whole foot off an inch.
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!