Movie Theatre Popcorn- Extra Butter

Options
I'm gonna be sooooooo bad tonight! But seriously, the calorie count that I found on MFP is really really really not bad. It is a practical joke or something? 3 cups = 105 calories?! Forrealz?! I can skip dinner, eat a whole bag, and still be under my goal for the day? Uh-mazing! (I never said I was a healthy eater) :):):)

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    A small movie theater bag of popcorn is 7 cups.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Is this actual movie theater popcorn? If so, that number is wayyyyyy off. You might want to do that search again. Also, there have been numerous articles stating how bad it actually is. Pretty much it can come to about 1000 calories. This is if you are having actual movie theater popcorn with extra butter.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    MFP is a litlte wrong here, remember it's member submitted.

Check this out - it'll help you out more.

http://www.factorfictionnutritionblog.com/2010/01/movie-popcorn.html
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Also, the listing for Regal Movie Theater's small popcorn with butter is 630 calories . . .
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would go with the calorie count listed on the popcorn label.
  • lizajanetoo
    lizajanetoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Rega's l small buttered popcorn is 11 cups, 670 calories, and 50 grams of FAT.
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Also, the listing for Regal Movie Theater's small popcorn with butter is 630 calories . . .
    Holy cow!
  • mallie233
    Options
    Awww come on guys. Bubble bursters. That's what ya'll are. This makes me sad.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    At least it'll leave your wallet lighter..
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    MFP is a litlte wrong here, remember it's member submitted.

Check this out - it'll help you out more.

http://www.factorfictionnutritionblog.com/2010/01/movie-popcorn.html

That is a really good idea...

mandasimba submitted DQ blizzard... Large pumpkin pie with cheesecake pieces and whipped cream, 275cals, 6 fat, 27g protein calories. Definatly can be a daily splurge now! ;)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Make some popcorn at home and bag it up and take it into the theater with you. Ghetto, but you still get your popcorn fix sans calories.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I think that's correct for teh BRAND Movie Theater Butter popcorn. The one that you pop in the microwave
  • mallie233
    Options
    At least it'll leave your wallet lighter..

haaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!
  • mallie233
    Options

Make some popcorn at home and bag it up and take it into the theater with you. Ghetto, but you still get your popcorn fix sans calories.

It's just not the same!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

It's just not the same!!

That's true.

The other alternative is to eat it and then burn off the extra calories doing some serious cardio work.

OR

Make it a one-time splurge and say f*** it. One bad decision won't derail you unless it becomes a habit.
  • mallie233
    Options
    Can't I just pretend I never posted/saw any of this? I'll be much happier! lol
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    No one is saying you can't have any. Just make sure you have a small amount. Get a kid's size if they have them. Try to be careful about the fake butter. Just don't overdo. Everything in moderation is the key.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't eat movie theater popcorn anymore. I had a bad reaction to it and a hand held camera action movie... I can only eat it when the popcorn is fresh, as in they fill my bag while it's coming out of the popper. Otherwise i just get nauseated.

I make popcorn at home all the time, using about 2 tbsp oil (usually coconut oil because it tastes fabulous) and 1/2 cup popcorn and my stir crazy popper. I put about 2 tbsp melted butter (the real thing) and garlic salt. My husband and I split the 6 cup take.

It makes me happy and is pretty good for calories, fat and all that.