Has anyone had ankle pain from 30DS?

Options
Because I do...it's been about 4 or 5 days now straight...I've been walking with a bit of a limp and exercising on it is getting difficult. It's more the back (achilles tendon area) and sides of the ankle rather than the front. It's only my right side though...also feeling a bit on my left knee but mostly the ankle. I know I have a slight curve in my spine (not scoliosis though); could it be that I am just misaligned so I am overcompensating with my muscles in certain areas?
Trying to see if it's just my muscles being sore and building up strength...but how long should I let it go on? I DON'T want to quit, but I also don't want to get an injury. Anyone had this sort of pain and had it go away? Or did you just stop the workout? I'm bummed. :(

Replies

• KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'll have to see what others say. I often get that. I used to get it every now and then when I used to do jogging every night and when I would do Insanity videos the sides of my ankles would hurt.

I know one thing that helped a bit was stopping and rolling my ankle, kind of stretching it out then getting back into it.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had to stop 30DS due to it really hurting my knees and ankles somewhat. Now that I've stopped, my knees have stopped hurting. I can do other exercises just fine though, even jog with no pain.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with my ankle doing it to. I think it is the jumping jacks. The in and out landing on my feet. The purpose of the jumping jacks is for arobics, try running in place, or do the jump rope instead. I know she say she doesn't mofify jumping jacks, but every body is different and to me it's not the jumping, (although I do have to wear a poise when doing them) for me its the in and out way my ankle moves.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Doing the 30DS really hurt my ankles and knees. It got alot better as soon as I started doing it bare feet!!!
  • melissabee31
    Options
    When I first tried the 30DS, I had serious foot pain. Like on the top of my foot where my tendons are. I stopped because of this.

I have started again and my feet are okay, but now my knees and the sides of my calves hurt when I walk.

While I think the 30DS is good and I see results, I think it's really too high impact to do more than a few times and not wear your body completely out...

Also, I am pretty athletic and have no health problems, not overweight. So you'd think a young healthy person like me could do it without pain...
  • herbalgirl011
    Options
    You do not have to quit working out but you shouldn't work out on a sore or hurting ankle. No pain , no gain is a myth. There are other things you can do to get your heart rate up while your ankl heals. If you don't let it heal it could lead to a more serious injury and set you back even more.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get ankle pain from a lot of different activities. Part of the reason is I have weak ankles from repeated sprains. My massage therapist has told me the pain I feel in my Achilles tendon is because my calfs are too tight. Since then I make sure that I walk/march in place for at least 5 mins then stretch out my calfs before starting any routine (including a warm up) and I always make sure I stretch them out again after cool down. This has helped a lot. Also you can try soaking in a warm Epsom bath.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    The jumping jacks combined with the motion of the squats messed my ankle up bad. The second day, I audibly heard something snap. So had to quit that game and take it realllly easy for a week. Better now, but I'm hoping that as I get to a lower weight and gradually build up ankle strength with running, I'll be able to give it another shot.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    When I got to he part where you had to stand on one foot that always made my ankle hurt...i did have knee pain from all the lunges, but when I FINISHED the shred it went away. i'm glad i did the DVD, I got great results and it was a great way to start my weight lose..and i was, kind am, a big girl!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I didn't get ankle pain, instead it killed my calves. I got to the point where I could barely walk, it hurt so bad. I don't even understand it, to be honest, because I could (and can now) do jumping jacks, jump rope, jog in place, and play DDR (lots of jumping) with no problems. I wasn't even really overweight when I was doing 30DS. (5'4" 128 lbs)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    When I do the jump ropeand high knees I get on my yoga matt for extra cushion. When doing the plank juming jacks I try to jump in and out easy like I dont want to make to much noise so I wont wake the baby. I'm heavy footed and I find if i try to be quieter and lighter on my feet it is easier on my body. When doing the jumping jacks I realy try to place the jumps and land quietly this help me with stamina.
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    I have a problem with my ankle doing it to. I think it is the jumping jacks. The in and out landing on my feet. The purpose of the jumping jacks is for arobics, try running in place, or do the jump rope instead. I know she say she doesn't mofify jumping jacks, but every body is different and to me it's not the jumping, (although I do have to wear a poise when doing them) for me its the in and out way my ankle moves.

YES. I think that's what it is for me too...thanks for the idea. I will try that.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Yup, I get ankle pain from a lot of different activities. Part of the reason is I have weak ankles from repeated sprains. My massage therapist has told me the pain I feel in my Achilles tendon is because my calfs are too tight. Since then I make sure that I walk/march in place for at least 5 mins then stretch out my calfs before starting any routine (including a warm up) and I always make sure I stretch them out again after cool down. This has helped a lot. Also you can try soaking in a warm Epsom bath.

I'm an MT too and I was thinking the same thing, it's probably a combo from the ankle stress from the jumping jacks, and my calves and all the other lower leg muscles being tight. Damn, I need a massage... lol. Maybe that will help.
  • uhoh_billy
    Options
    Here's a question for you: Do you wear shoes while you do the work out?

I had some crazy foot pain when I was doing it, because I have really flat feet. I spoke to a friend, who's a physiotherapist, and she told me to wear shoes while I do it (in the house?! A weird concept for me haha) and the pain went right away.

If you are wearing shoes, I don't know what to tell you. Wrap it while you're doing the workouts to help stabilize it?
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, although mine is more on the top of my feet. I broke my foot exactly a year ago, so I'm sure that hasn't helped, and I've always had weak ankles due to lots of soccer injuries. I think it was the jumping jacks that did it to me, too, so I don't do them anymore. I usually run on the spot or skip and it's been a bit better since I've been doing that.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Yep, I do wear shoes....I will try it without the jumping jacks tonight.