P90X with something else?

Options
I know a lot of you are either doing P90X or have have done it in past. I am in my 4th week (first recovery week), and so far its been going good. I have only skipped a couple of yoga sessions (mostly because I feel they are too long, but I have done yoga a few times and I like it). I usually work out in the evenings after work, and I can power though the work out and usually keep up (loosely speaking, because I am not doing 40 pull/push ups like they are) with the instructors. Like Tony says, I do my best, and forget the rest. :D

Although I have to admit I do have a hard time sticking to ab-ripper after a full workout.

Okay, so, coming to the point. I am wondering if any of you have thought about augmenting your P90x with another program (say insanity, or 10 minute trainer, or just gym machines for that). I know that's a lot of work, but if I try to do the additional exercises in the AM before work, I should still be able to work on in the evenings. Or the other option would be to do some warm up such as running a couple miles and ap-ripper at a separate time (AM?) to make evening workouts easier. I'd likely only do it on weight training days, because cardio days are tough as it is.

I know there's a slight danger of over training, and I recognize I'd have to up my food intake to feed the body. But how much is too much?

I know it varies from person to person, but have you felt the need to make it even more extreme (i.e. additional work outs)?

PS: I recognize that there are tonnes of videos on youtube of people who've done both P90X and insanity hybrid. It seems like they all got major results, but IDK if they were on steroids or were taking stuff to be not quite as sore, or lifting 100lbs where I am doing 25lbs. Also, I am not sure how much rest (sleep time) they could afford. I am limited to 6-7.5 hours due to various reasons.

PSS: If you are considering doing, currently doing, or have done P90X in past, friend me. Thanks.

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i did p90x with marathon training...

...for about a week. It was just too much. I've since switched to running and New Rules of Lifting (they have men and women versions---obviously i'm using the "for women" one) and its much more realistic with better results. I've gained more muscle/lost more weight in a month in this program than i did in all 90 days of P90X ... i highly recommend it!
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am confused ... You completed P90X once, and were doing it again as you trained for your marathon... That's INSANITY! (pun intended).

I did a quick google search for "New Rules of Lifting" and found
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum-Muscle/dp/1583332383

Is this what you were referring to? Is it the only format? or are there videos & worksheets you could follow as well. I am curious to find out.
  • ATL4Tay
    Options
    I did P90X last spring and also ran on some days (the ones that weren't as heavy on the legs), but you just have to listen to your body...you'll know if you're over-training b/c you won't have any energy for your work-outs!

Joined a kickboxing gym and have been training for longer races...I kind of miss Tony! "Like a pterodactyl backing out of trouble!"
  • queenfresh
    queenfresh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the P90X doubles?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I use P90X to supplement my regular routine.

I do 1-2 P90X routines per week, 1-2 X-Factor:ST routines per week, and 2-3 regular gym workouts.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the P90X doubles?

Did you mean to say, two P90X routines in one day? I am pretty crazy, but not quite that crazy :P
    I do 1-2 P90X routines per week, 1-2 X-Factor:ST routines per week, and 2-3 regular gym workouts.

I wish I had focus like yours, I need to be able to stick to one routine, but look at me, I am already starting to alter it ... haha, I guess time will tell.

It's awesome to get everyone's feedback. Thanks guys!